| 11.4°C Dublin

Terry vows to clear name as race row hots up

CHELSEA and England captain John Terry has vowed to clear his name after the Football Association launched a potentially-devastating investigation into allegations that he racially abused QPR defender Anton Ferdinand.

THE FA announced last night that it would look into claims that Terry allegedly aimed a racial slur at Ferdinand during Sunday's west London derby at Loftus Road.

Terry has denied verbally abusing the 26-year-old, but should the FA, or worse still, the police, deem otherwise the decision could have a ruinous effect on the defender's future in the game.

The 30-year-old has endured a difficult time over the last 12 months, with allegations that he slept with the ex- girlfriend of former team-mate Wayne Bridge costing him the England captaincy.

The Londoner bounced back from that controversy and was handed back the skipper's armband in March, but this latest alleged incident could force Fabio Capello to rescind the captaincy once more.

Last night, Terry said: "I welcome the FA inquiry and look forward to clearing my name as soon as possible. Until then I have no further comment."

Terry issued a statement after the match denying he had racially abused Ferdinand, and the two players met in the away dressing room after the game so the England international could explain his version of events.

Ferdinand appears not to have been satisfied with the Chelsea man's explanation, however, with the FA confirming it had been asked to look into the allegations.

"Queens Park Rangers Football Club does not condone racism in any way, shape or form," said Hoops chairman Tony Fernandes in a statement.

"As a club, we will provide our players with our unequivocal support when alleged incidents like this occur."

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas said the incident was "a great misunderstanding" which had been "blown out of all proportion".