Liverpool are reported to have made a move for Ajax's Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez.
Ajax boss Frank de Boer has confirmed Suarez, 23, has indicated that he wants to move on if an offer comes in and said that plans for his replacement are already in place.
"I've had a showdown with Luis," De Boer said. "I wanted to know what his plans are and what the future will bring. Luis is training hard.
"He told me that if a big club comes in for him now he is ready to talk to them. I've a back-up scenario ready."
Dutch newspapers reported yesterday that Liverpool made contact with Ajax on Saturday night and negotiations continued on Sunday.
Suarez is said to be eager to move to Liverpool due to the number of Spanish-speaking players at the club and recently stressed his desire to compete at the highest level.
"If I move I want to join a real football club where they play good, attacking football," said Suarez. "I will decline any offer from clubs like Shakhtar Donetsk or (Zenit) St Petersburg where they offer you bags of money.
"I've an obsession to win trophies. I am a South American with the mentality to win."
The Merseyside club have scouted the Uruguayan since August -- Dalglish made some of the visits himself -- and they contacted Ajax at the weekend to check on availability and possible prices.
Suarez, who helped Uruguay finish fourth at last summer's World Cup, is known to be interested in playing alongside Fernando Torres.
Suarez was unhappy with Ajax in November, when they did not contest a seven-match ban that was imposed by the Dutch Football Federation after he bit a PSV Eindhoven player, Otman Bakkal.
He was also disappointed when Martin Jol resigned as Ajax manager last month.
There is a feeling in Amsterdam that De Boer, a typical Ajax coach, wedded to a 4-3-3 formation with genuine wingers, might not include Suarez in his plans.