herald

Monday 20 November 2017

Rooney will star in World Cup -- Phelan

Manchester United assistant boss Mike Phelan insists England's worried fans do not need to have any concerns over the fitness of Wayne Rooney.

The 34-goal striker walked off 13 minutes from the end of United's 4-0 win over Stoke at Old Trafford after suffering a recurrence of the groin problem that has troubled him since the second leg of his side's Champions League defeat to Bayern Munich last month.

With Fabio Capello due to name his 30-man provisional World Cup squad tomorrow, the Italian needed some reassurance about his star striker.

And it was provided by Phelan, who insists Rooney will be fit to do himself justice in South Africa.

"He should be OK," he said.

"All the phone calls and all the worries we can dispel straight away.

"He should be fine. It is just a precaution and he will be looking forward to his World Cup."

Rooney's exit was part of a strange afternoon as United sauntered to victory while at the same time knowing the title was beyond them.

As Chelsea were in front against Wigan before Darren Fletcher put the Red Devils ahead against Tony Pulis' side, there was an air of inevitability about proceedings, which only left Ferguson to pay Carlo Ancelotti the warmest of tributes.

"When we heard Wigan were down to 10 men all our hopes evaporated," Ferguson said.

"I am not going to agonise about where it went wrong. We applaud Chelsea winning the title and I applaud Carlo Ancelotti. We know how hard it is to win the league."

Ryan Giggs added a second before half-time. Danny Higginbotham then turned Rooney's low cross into his own net after the break, leaving Park Ji-sung to complete United's season with a firm diving header.

It was a disappointing end to United's quest to become the first English team to win four successive titles.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News