| 20.8°C Dublin

Reds denied by late Bournemouth strike

Liverpool 2 Bournemouth 2


Liverpool’s Divock Origi misses a chance on goal. Photo: GETTY

Liverpool’s Divock Origi misses a chance on goal. Photo: GETTY

AFP/Getty Images

Liverpool’s Divock Origi misses a chance on goal. Photo: GETTY

Liverpool let a lead slip away late on to draw 2-2 against Bournemouth and miss the chance to strengthen their grip on third place.

Goals from Philippe Coutinho, equalling Juninho's tally of 29 to become the joint top-scoring Brazilian in the Premier League, and Divock Origi appeared to have put the hosts on course to open up a six-point gap on fourth-placed Manchester City.

However, Josh King struck in the 87th minute, to follow Benik Afobe's early opener, as Bournemouth earned a point.

It took just seven minutes for Liverpool's troubles to manifest and it was all self-inflicted.

Under pressure from Harry Arter, Georginio Wijnaldum's backpass was slow and straight into the path of Afobe, who needed no invitation to become Bournemouth's first goalscorer at Anfield since 1927 - their only other effort was an Emlyn Hughes own goal in 1968.

Without the searing pace of Sadio Mane, most of the responsibility fell on Coutinho's shoulders and his whipped free-kick into the side-netting indicated that he was up for it.

Five minutes before the break he delivered, although his goal owed a huge amount to Roberto Firmino who despite being tightly marked took out four defenders with a clever five-yard through-ball which his compatriot dug out from under his feet to beat Artur Boruc.

They eventually cracked on the hour as Coutinho fed Wijnaldum, who made up for his first-half aberration with a teasing cross for Origi to put his head on and find the back of the net.

Eddie Howe's response was to send on Ryan Fraser, who sparked the dramatic comeback at the Vitality Stadium in December, for former Reds winger Jordon Ibe.

Steve Cook's long throw was not cleared properly and in the penalty-area pinball which ensued King fired home.