| 7.5°C Dublin

Redmond strikes to leave Rosslare stranded at bottom

LITTLE more than four minutes into the game, Jack Redmond shot what eventually proved the all important goal as if kept Ferns Utd's promotion chase alive leaving Rosslare Strand rooted in the relegation battle after this Division 1 clash at Rosslare on Sunday morning.

With such an early game it left one expecting a feast of goals given the sides respective attacking instincts, but despite an abundance of free flowing football, one had to endure the following 85 minutes without a further goal, as defences generally held control in front of goal pressuring the front players into some hasty finishing.

While Ferns looked the more composed footballing sides, the seasiders were fighting desperately hard for points to lift them out of the bottom three.

As a result the challenges were strong, but in the end the challenge proved too daunting for the homeside just up out of Division 2.

Ferns started the game with great urgency pressing forward continuously from the kick-off. It took just four minutes for them to open the scoring with Jack Redmond getting onto a breaking ball inside the area, to drill a low effort past keeper Ryan Furlong making it 0-1.

The homeside gradually played their way into the game leaving Danny O'Reilly to power a free-kick just over the top, while Gavin Kinsella also saw a right footed effort fly just outside the left hand post.

After thirty-three minutes Ferns should have made it two when Johnny Dwyer missed out on a Benny Jordan cross when all it needed was the simplest of touches from in front of goal, while minutes later John Breen also failed to apply the finish to a Jordan cross from a very scoreable position leaving it 0-1 at the interval.

On the resumption the homeside went in search of levelling goal with both Gavin Kinsella and Danny Reilly bringing the best out of keeper John Thorpe.

After enduring this early flourish of second half attacks it was Ferns who again took the initiative as Tommy Dwyer and Martin Redmond became more influential in midfield.

After Johnny Dwyer had a shot go narrowly wide, centre-back Derek Thorpe should have made it two when he found himself clear in front of goal, but kept his shot from ten meters much too close to keeper Ryan Furlong, who managed to knock the ball away to safety.

Rosslare acknowledged that they had to press forward if they were to take anything from this game.

They camped into their opponents half through the closing ten minutes as David Pitt and Gavin Kinsella continuously drove the side forward.

Danny O'Reilly had a couple of efforts on goal but keeper Thorpe proved equal to the task, but with Derek Thorpe and Thomas Hawkins commanding at the back they closed out the home teams efforts through the final minutes to secure three crucial points.

It was Ferns ability to raise their game that helped them to a win that keeps them close to the top of the table as they set into some crucial games over the coming weeks, but on the evidence of this showing it could be a long season for the seasiders.

rosslare strand: Ryan Furlong, Cian Kehoe, Cian Boggan, Gary Collins, Danny Ennis, David Pitt, Steven Mullaly, Gavin kinsella, Stephen O'Reilly, Danny O'Reilly, Conor Clancy. Subs: Dean O'Reilly, Kenny O'Reilly, Richard Bent, Kieran Doyle, Luke Goortay.

ferns united: John Thorpe, Patrick Skelton, Frank Devereux, Derek Thorpe, Thomas Hawkins, Martin Redmond, Tommy Dwyer, Benny Jordan, Jack Redmond, Ryan Nolan, Johnny Dwyer. Subs: John Breen, Colm Whelan, Tony Cleere, Matty Flynn, Paddy Rossiter.

REFEREE: Damien Donovan..