Redknapp keen for Modric to sign new deal
HARRY Redknapp wants Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy to start talks with Luka Modric over a new contract after the Croatian scored a blistering opener in the club's 4-0 win over Liverpool yesterday.
Modric was at the centre of one of the most protracted transfer sagas of the summer, with Spurs refusing to sell their star playmaker him to Chelsea despite the Blues offering £40m for the player.
Modric himself made it clear he wanted to move to Stamford Bridge but now appears to be keen to knuckle down for Tottenham for the rest of the season.
The 26-year-old had refused to play at Manchester United before the transfer window closed as Redknapp revealed the midfielder's focus had been affected by Chelsea's interest.
The diminutive star looked back to his best yesterday with an energetic performance that also included the goal of the game – a thundering 20-yard strike which set Spurs on their way to the hammering against Kenny Dalglish's team, who ended the match with nine men.
Redknapp is convinced Modric has moved on from the saga and wants Levy to offer him a new deal now to help keep him at White Hart Lane.
“Luka is fine now, he's just getting on with it. I think the chairman will sit down with him and discuss his contract.
“That's what I'd like to happen,” Redknapp said. “The chairman has said he would give it six or seven weeks, sit down and have a chat with him. It was a great strike. That's why we were offered £40m for him, because he's a top player.”
Spurs were a class apart from their Champions League qualification rivals yesterday but were helped by the red cards referee Mike Jones handed out to Charlie Adam and Martin Skrtel.
Adam was sent off after 32 minutes for two bookings – the second a flying tackle on Scott Parker – and Skrtel followed in the second half when he earned a second yellow for hacking Gareth Bale down from behind just inside the Liverpool half.
Spurs used their numerical uperiority to their advantage by wrapping up the win with an Emmanuel Adebayor double and Jermain Defoe's third of the season.
Reds manager Kenny Dalglish met referees chief Mike Riley last Tuesday after complaining about not being given two penalties in last week's loss at Stoke.
After that meeting, Dalglish insisted he and his players would not criticise match officials and he held true to his word yesterday. “It's better to just leave it,” Dalglish said when asked about the red cards.