| 3.9°C Dublin

Mourinho wants striker as Carlo targets Europe

Close

BACK-UP: Harry Kane

BACK-UP: Harry Kane

PA

BACK-UP: Harry Kane

Jose Mourinho has "total confidence" that Tottenham will sign a striker during the current transfer window.

Mourinho is desperate to provide reinforcements to his attacking arsenal and give competition to Harry Kane, something they were without for the whole of last season.

Spurs have been linked with a number of players, both in England and Europe, and Mourinho is expecting the club to deliver before the window shuts in October.

However, there will be no movement before tomorrow's Premier League opener with Everton.

"I want, I need a striker, but I want to make it very, very clear that the club knows that I need a striker and they also want a striker," he said.

"Are we going to get one? I believe so, I honestly believe so. The team needs it for the balance of the squad, with different options for different positions.

"Especially after the gift we had from the EFL and UEFA, that gives me after 20 years of football a unique experience of playing Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday for two consecutive weeks. We realise that more than ever we need that.

"We are working on it. We are not the kind of club that can go to the market and spend a fortune on players but we are working hard to give us good balance to the squad and that good balance would be to get one more striker.

Getting a striker to come and play second fiddle to Kane has always been presented as one of the constraints of signing a player, but that should not be a problem according to the manager.

The amount of games coming up over the next couple of months and Kane's unfortunate tendency to pick up injuries means game time should be possible, plus Mourinho has floated the idea that any new arrival could play up front with the England captain.

"I don't like the word back-up, I know we have one of the best strikers in the world, I know we have undoubtedly the best striker in England, but I don't like the word back-up," he said.

Meanwhile, Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti has set his players the minimum target of qualifying for Europe this season.

The three-time Champions League-winning coach saw his side limp to 12th last season - their worst finish since coming 17th in 2004 .

"I think that the goal we want to achieve is to fight for the first positions of the Premier League to be able to reach Europe next season. The goal is quite clear," he said.

"We have this desire, this ambition. I think we can."

This summer Ancelotti has moved to rectify the major problem area of midfield with the signings of Napoli's Brazil international Allan, Watford's Abdoulaye Doucoure and high-profile Colombia playmaker James Rodriguez.

He still needs more cover at centre-back as Yerry Mina has been hampered by niggling injuries since his arrival two years ago while there remain question marks around whether his striking options of Richarlison, Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Moise Kean can provide the necessary number of goals to fire them high enough in the table.

Nevertheless, Ancelotti is satisfied with their transfer activity so far, with all three new signings set to be given their debuts at Tottenham on Sunday.

"I think that we are happy to have these players," he added.

"The club did a fantastic job because these players - James, Doucoure and Allan - were the priority for us.

"We were able to sign them and so we're really happy, I think the club did a fantastic job.

"Now we are working to have a good season, we would like to be competitive in all the competitions and I think with these players the squad has improved and I think we are going to compete.

"The market is going to be closed on October 5, if there is some opportunity I think we can look for this (more signings), but honestly I am satisfied with the squad in this moment."

Former defender Leighton Baines has returned to the club in a coaching role following his retirement at the end of last season.

The left-back has been appointed the club's first professional development coach working with young first-team players as well as the under-23s and under-18s.

"I'm really pleased to be back and to be part of this exciting new structure," said Baines.

"While our development pathway is already highly respected, it has been very clear to me that there is a shared ambition here to develop and improve this even further, and I'm hugely excited to have the opportunity to play a part in this."

Another former player David Unsworth has had his role extended to incorporate director of academy along with his under-23 coaching position.

"David's credentials as a coach are first-class and we all know this is matched by his passion for the club," said director of football Marcel Brands.

"Adding Leighton and his knowledge into that structure will be very valuable to us.

"He is taking up a new and important role which he has helped design based on his recent perspective and tremendous experience as a player."


Privacy