| 15.6°C Dublin

Mourinho down to business

Close

Ed Woodward, Bobby Charlton and Jose Mourinho at United's training ground in Carrington

Ed Woodward, Bobby Charlton and Jose Mourinho at United's training ground in Carrington

Ed Woodward, Bobby Charlton and Jose Mourinho at United's training ground in Carrington

New Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho is ready to sanction a one-year contract for Michael Carrick this week following confirmation of Marcus Rashford's decision to sign a new four-year deal at Old Trafford.

Carrick, who will be 35 by the start of the 2016-17 season in August, had been set to leave the club this summer with previous manager Louis van Gaal failing to confirm a contract extension for the midfielder, whose current deal expires on June 30.

But with Mourinho replacing the sacked Van Gaal last week, the Portuguese is understood to be keen to retain the experience and versatility of Carrick, who made 42 first-team appearances for United in the season just ended.

Mourinho was greeted by Bobby Charlton at club's Aon Training Centre at Carrington yesterday as he toured the complex for the first time since his appointment was confirmed.

About his future, Carrick said: "I'm hopeful [of staying]. There is no news as yet, but we'll have to wait and see what happens."

United have secured the services of England forward Rashford, 18, and emerging left-back Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, 19, until 2020 - both containing the option of a further year.

Rashford is expected to complete a remarkable rise from obscurity by being named in England's Euro 2016 squad but United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward has urged the club's supporters to be patient with the teenager's development.

"We need to be patient, but he is developing in the right way," said Woodward.