| 1.6°C Dublin

'Massive' Samba offer rejected

HARRY REDKNAPP is relieved QPR chairman Tony Fernandes turned down a "massive offer" for Christopher Samba from an unnamed Russian club last week.

The 28-year-old arrived from Anzhi Makhachkala for a club-record fee on transfer deadline day, penning a four-and-a-half-year deal.

However, Redknapp has revealed QPR were offered more than what they forked out for Samba by another Russian club last week ahead of the end of their own transfer window.

"We had an offer for Samba, right on the deadline and the chairman turned it down," Redknapp said after Saturday's 2-1 win at Southampton.

"We had an offer of more money than what we paid for Samba. The chairman had a massive offer for him to go back to Russia.

"I would have had no problem. I left it to the chairman. He came back and said he had turned it down and said 'get on with it'.

"It was really good for us. Had we lost him, I would say that is football. He is a proper player.

Samba was a behemoth at the back at Southampton as QPR eked out just their third league win of the season.

"This gives us a chance, that's all," Redknapp said. "It is a chance and it keeps us in there.

Redknapp believes Southampton are not one of those in danger of going down but defender Jose Fonte disagrees.

"We know we have the quality but we need the points. What's the point in dominating games and not winning, not taking points?

"We need to go to the training ground and make sure we address that."


Privacy