herald

Tuesday 12 December 2017

Klopp content Reds have done their best

Phillipe Coutinho
Phillipe Coutinho

Jurgen Klopp stressed Liverpool have done all they can to make signings in this window and admitted there could be more activity at Anfield before next week's deadline.

The Reds have been one of the quietest of those who finished in the Premier League's top seven last term, with just Egyptian winger Mohamed Salah, full-back Andrew Robertson, and young striker Dominic Solanke being brought in. 

They have so far been frustrated in their pursuits of RB Leipzig's Naby Keita and Southampton's Virgil van Dijk due to the respective clubs' reluctance to sell, and Liverpool only have until next Thursday to add to their squad ahead of their return to the Champions League group stage.

Convinced

"All the players we spoke to we convinced," the German said. 

"We didn't have to tell them, 'Maybe we play Champions League' and we don't have to call them and say, 'By the way, we play Champions League now'. 

"It's not about us, it's not about money, sometimes it's just possible or not possible. "Until August 31st, a lot of things are really possible, in and out. If the transfer window closed tomorrow I'm happy with it. We will see what happens." 

Those emotions may hinge on whether his club can hang on to Philippe Coutinho with Barcelona's interest lingering despite Liverpool having turned down three bids. 

A back injury and illness have kept Coutinho, who has already lodged a transfer request, out of action so far but that has not prevented Brazil calling the 25-year-old up to their squad for their forthcoming World Cup qualifiers.

"He's on our injury list, that hasn't changed," Klopp said. 

"I was not in contact so far with the Brazilian FA but the rules are if they want to see him and check him then he has to go there. I don't know but I think that will happen. It's no problem." 

Coutinho will not feature when Liverpool host Arsenal tomorrow.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News