| 7.3°C Dublin

waterford too hot to handle

Waterford Crystal...............5


Waterford Crystal picked up another three points to get themselves off to a flying start to the new season.

Crystal looked bright enough when the game got underway and they took the lead after eight minutes of play.

Mitchel Casey took off down the right flank from his fullback position and crossed to Liam Coady who glanced on the ball with his head to Joe Watson, and he flashed the ball past the Bohemians goalkeeper Dylan Power from 8 yards range.

The visitors to the Crystal Complex displayed great heart despite that setback with Dean Twomey picking out Colm Burke but his shot was deflected out for a corner-kick by defender Jason Ryan.

Twomey crossed to David Kennedy on 15 minutes and a goal looked on when Kennedy shot hard at goal but Derek Hearne produced a wonderful save by spreading himself to block the ball.

The visitors did however get back on level terms on 28 minutes. David Kennedy sent over a free-kick from the right sideline and rising high at the back post, David Whittle headed powerfully past Hearne.

Former Bohemians player Leo Jacques handed the advantage to his former colleague on 36 minutes. He attempted to play the ball back to his goalkeeper but his pass was dreadfully short and that gave Dean Twomey the chance to skip around the stranded goalkeeper and slot the ball into an empty net.

Bohs dominated the remainder of the first half without adding to their total.


It was a completely different Crystal outfit that emerged for the second period and they got back on level terms with a peach of a goal after 56 minutes.

A short free-kick taken by Paul Quilty was controlled by Conor Fell and the midfielder found the roof of the net from 30 yards with a wonderful rightfooted strike.

The hosts regained their lead on 62 minutes.

Keith Sheridan swung over a corner-kick from the right and when the Bohemians defence failed to clear the ball properly, Paul Quilty took advantage by shooting home from six yards.

The entire course of the game changed between the 72nd and 73rd minutes.

Shane Morrissey of Bohemians thought he had levelled the game once again when he took a freekick from the edge of the penalty area but Derek Hearne kept Crystal's lead intact with a wonderful diving save. The ball was swept up-field with pace and Liam Coady played it forward to Conor Fell who cut into the box and blasted his second goal of the game past Dylan Power.

Bohemians moved David Whittle into the middle of the park and the move paid off when he was fouled on 76 minutes.

David Kennedy took the free from the right and Dean Twomey headed home his second goal of this thrilling match.

However one minute later Waterford Crystal regained their two-goal advantage when Keith Sheridan passed to Paul Quilty and he scored with real class to equal what Conor Fell and Dean Twomey had done by scoring a brace.

Super stuff indeed. Bohemians were left pointless following another defeat but they will take encouragement from this display.

Waterford Crystal: Derek Hearne, Mitchel Casey, Shaun Corcoran, Jason Ryan, Leo Jacques, Keith Sheridan, Gavin Roche, Conor Fell, Paul Quilty, Joe Watson, Liam Coady.Subs: Jason Halloran for Roche (71 mins) Jason Foran for Sheridan (87 mins).

Bohemians. Dylan Power, Clive Prendergast, Shane Morrissey, David Whittle, Stephen Walsh, Niall Clifford, Gary Wallace, Colm Burke, Kenny Pucell, Dean Twomey, David Kennedy. Subs: David Barrett for Prendertgast (77 mins) Dean Hayes for Purcell (81 mins)

Referee: Noel Purcell.