herald

Saturday 16 December 2017

Jose won't confirm Lindelof bid

Benfica’s Victor Lindelof.
Benfica’s Victor Lindelof.

Jose Mourinho has refused to rule out a move for Benfica defender Victor Lindelof .

The 22-year-old was heavily linked with a move to Manchester United in January that did not materialise and reports in Portugal suggest a new deal has already been done.

Reports claim United will complete a €40m deal for the 22-year-old Benfica defender, with an announcement due after Sweden play France in their World Cup qualifier next week.

And Mourinho has spoken out about a potential deal while giving a talk at a university in Portugal. Speaking to local press at the event, he explained: "I will not say if I want him or not, I think it's incorrect.

"Rui (Vitoria, Benfica manager) is not going to be happy with another club manager talking about a player who is his, the president would not be happy to see that.

"Lindelof is theirs and as long as he's theirs, he's theirs."

The Swedish defender responded himself to the rumours earlier this week.

"There are rumours that there is always, at all times," Lindelof said. "I will say the same thing I always do, I have a contract with Benfica.

Meanwhile, Real Madrid president Florentino Perez admits he does not know where David de Gea will play next season.

United are increasingly confident of keeping hold of the Spaniard after qualifying for the Champions League last month. But that stance is unlikely to put Los Blancos off as they look to land the transfer target that eluded them on deadline day in 2015.

And, with Madrid having become the first side to retain the Champions League, Perez refused to rule out a move for the 26-year-old in the summer.

"De Gea is a great goalkeeper who plays for United, he said.

"I don't know where he will play next season because I'm not a fortune teller."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News