Tuesday 12 December 2017

Harry: England can have me for Euros

HARRY REDKNAPP says he is fully aware that he is the people's choice in England to become the next manager of their national side.

The Tottenham boss insists, however, that until he receives an approach from the Football Association, he remains focused on his duties at White Hart Lane.

Redknapp is the overwhelming favourite to succeed Fabio Capello as national coach after the Italian surprisingly quit his post last week, having clashed with the FA over their decision to strip John Terry of the England captaincy for a second time.

Redknapp has spent the majority of this week in Abu Dhabi resting following a draining 13-day trial which ended with him being cleared of two counts of tax evasion.

Clamour

But despite being halfway across the world, the 64-year-old has not been able to escape the public clamour for him to succeed Capello.

"I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't the popular choice," Redknapp said. "I know I am, it's been everywhere, in every paper every day. But it's not an easy one.

"This week we have Stevenage in the FA Cup, then we have Man United, then we have Arsenal, then we have Chelsea. We have some fantastic games.

"It's an important time for me with Tottenham."

Redknapp hinted for the first time yesterday that he would be willing to take charge of England for the European Championship this summer while remaining Spurs boss.

But he insists fulfilling both roles on a long-term basis would be impossible.

"In the long term it's not possible to manage a club team and manage a national team," he added.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News