Tuesday 12 December 2017

EA Sports Cup focus: Miele on the double for Rovers in derby

Shamrock Rvs 3 Bohemians 1

Brandon Miele, right, celebrates after scoring Shamrock Rovers' second goal with teammate Graham Burke. Photo: David Maher/Sportsfile
Brandon Miele, right, celebrates after scoring Shamrock Rovers' second goal with teammate Graham Burke. Photo: David Maher/Sportsfile

Brandon Miele proved Shamrock Rovers' match-winner for the second time over the Easter weekend with a double to see off arch-rivals Bohemians at Tallaght Stadium.

The fully-deserved win at eased Stephen Bradley's side into the last eight of the EA Sports Cup.

With Luke Byrne making his first start in a year following a knee injury, Rovers gave themselves the perfect start with the lead goal inside three minutes.

The busy Graham Burke worked the opening to put Sean Boyd away through the middle and he squared for winger Darren Meenan to drill a low shot to the corner of Greg Murray's net. A youthful Bohs hit back to equalise eight minutes later when punishing Rovers' dithering from an 11th minute free kick.

Keith Ward's delivery ran across to the far side of the goal where skipper Dan Byrne laid the ball back for Ian Morris to score with a casual finish.

Rovers responded to utterly dominate until half-time with the bustling Boyd twice coming close.

Rovers remained much the better side into the second half, regaining the lead on 65 minutes.

Substitute Michael O'Connor got free on the right to drill a low cross to the far post where Miele, who had scored their only goal in Fridya league win over Sligo Rovers, arrived to confidently sweep the ball home.

Miele then sealed it with his second goal of the night on 79 minutes with an assist from another sub.

James Doona cut the ball across from the right for Miele to shoot home. Murray then deprived Miele of his hat-trick three minutes later with a brilliant stop.

  • Reigning EA Sports Cup champions St Patrick's Athletic overcame Bray Wanderers 5-3 on penalties, following a 0-0 stalemate at Richmond Park, Inchicore.
  • Dundalk had a sudden death penalties win over UCD at Oriel Park after a 1-1 draw at Oriel Park. Conor Clifford equalising for Dundalk, following Gary O'Neill's opener.
  • Cork City beat their Munster rivals Limerick 3-0 at Markets Field, thanks to strikes from Garry Buckley, Shane Treacy (own goal) and Shane Griffin.
  • Waterford FC beat Cobh Ramblers 2-0 at the RSC with goals from D O'Halloran and Derek Kelly.
  • Sligo Rovers enjoyed a 1-0 win away to Finn Harps thanks to a late Mathews Stevens strike.
  • Derry City's struggles of late continued with a 2-0 defeat to Galway United at Eamonn Deacy Park. Kevin Devaney's first-half goal was followed up by a late Vinny Faherty strike.
  • Shelbourne were beaten 2-0 at home to Longford Town, Gavin Boyne and Dylan McGlade doing the damage for the midlanders.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News