herald

Thursday 23 November 2017

Dyche told to stoke up bid for Jon

Burnley offer for Walters rejected by Potters

Stoke City’s Irish striker Jon Walters is wanted by Burnley
Stoke City’s Irish striker Jon Walters is wanted by Burnley

Burnley want to make their Irish contingent even bigger as they are chasing Jonathan Walters as well as James McCarthy.

But Stoke City have told their Premier League rivals to get serious if they plan to sign the 33-year-old as an early offer from the Clarets for Walters has been rejected.

Burnley's Irish connection is strong with senior caps Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady, Stephen Ward and Kevin Long in the first team squad.

Last week they were linked with a move for McCarthy, who is expected to leave Everton, and now they have targeted Walters, who has 12 months left on his contract with Stoke.

Claims of a £3million bid for Walters by Burnley have been rejected by Stoke, and local media in Stoke claim that instead the offer was in six figures and was "an insult" to the club and the player.

Burnley boss Sean Dyche, who this week moaned that his club were financially below the newly promoted Brighton and Newcastle, now has to decide whether to make a second bid. Stoke are also mulling over an offer of £500,000 from Aston Villa for Walters' compatriot Glenn Whelan, after Derby County dropped their interest.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News