Monday 11 December 2017

Dembele on the double to stun city at Parkhead

Bhoys put on stellar show but have to settle for a point as Rodgers' battlers rock Guardiola's Citizens at Celtic Park

Celtic’s Moussa Dembele celebrates his second goal in the thrilling Champions League draw with Manchester City at Celtic Park last night
Celtic’s Moussa Dembele celebrates his second goal in the thrilling Champions League draw with Manchester City at Celtic Park last night

Manchester City came from behind three times to draw 3-3 with Celtic in a breathtaking Champions League encounter at Parkhead.

In a whirlwind start to the match Hoops striker Moussa Dembele gave the home side the lead in the third minute before Fernandinho equalised eight minutes later.

Left-back Kieran Tierney's 20th-minute shot deflected in off City winger Raheem Sterling, who then levelled again for the visitors with a well-taken goal.

Dembele made it 3-2 with less than two minutes played of the second half before Nolito equalised again in the 55th minute.

The result ends City's winning run under Pep Guardiola - 10 games before they travelled to Glasgow - and it was no more than the Scottish champions deserved.

Brendan Rodgers' side were hammered 7-0 in Barcelona in their Group C opener earlier in the month but he and the supporters will have been encouraged by the determination shown by the Scottish champions during an exhilarating game.

Rain cascaded down in the lead up to kick-off and then the noise took over as Celtic stormed into an early lead. Scott Sinclair's free-kick from 35 yards was played wide to James Forrest and when his first-time volley was headed towards goal by defender Erik Sviatchenko, it was chested in from a couple of yards by Dembele.

Shell-shocked City had yet to settle before they almost found themselves two down. Tom Rogic's free-kick into the box ended up at the feet of Toure whose shot on the turn was parried behind by goalkeeper Claudio Bravo for the first of a couple of corners, which City survived.

The visitors drew level during a brief spell of pressure when Fernandinho took the sting out of a long-range effort by team mate Aleksandar Kolarov, turned, and knocked the ball past Gordon.

There was barely time for supporters or players to breathe. Moments later, Rogic's curling free-kick from 25 yards missed the far post by inches but when he set up Tierney on the break the Scotland defender's shot nestled behind Bravo after taking a touch off Sterling.

In the 28th minute, after Dembele was short with a pass to skipper Scott Brown, Silva released Sterling and he cleverly turned inside Tierney before slipping the ball past Gordon from 12 yards.

Dembele started the second-half as he did the first, taking advantage of Kolarov's miskick in front of goal from Tierney's cross, to hook the ball past the helpless Bravo.

More mayhem ensued in the stands. Gordon pushed a Gundogan free-kick from 20 yards past the post as the Premier League leaders responded once more but their third equaliser came after Gordon had parried an angled-drive by Aguero out to Spanish attacker Nolito who slotted the ball into the back of the net.

Celtic skipper Brown said: "We played exceptionally well, we know man City have a great team, we had to dig deep and defend late in the game, it was an exciting game for everyone. We had heroes all over the park, we needed big characters to step up, our keeper did that but so did the other lads..

"When teams come to Parkhead anything can happen, it's a real feather in our caps, drawing with a good side like Manchester City is one of those great nights."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News