Monday 18 December 2017

City unsure of Tevez return after deals fail

MANCHESTER City boss Roberto Mancini faces the prospect of a reunion with Carlos Tevez after the Argentinian failed to secure a move in the transfer window.

Last night's 11pm transfer deadline passed without any transfer for the 27-year-old being completed, so it appears Tevez will remain a City player at least until the end of the season.

That means Tevez may now return to Manchester from Argentina, where he has been since November without the club's permission

Mancini was asked about the situation after his side's disappointing 1-0 defeat at Everton last night but said he did not know what the latest position was.

Mancini previously said it would be "impossible" for Tevez to return and be reintegrated into the squad.

"Tevez is always a Manchester City player," the Italian said last night. "I don't know what his condition is."

When asked if Tevez would still need to apologise to in order to be considered for selection again, Mancini said: "I don't know at this moment."

AC Milan were thought to be Tevez's favoured suitors but could not meet City's £25million asking price.

Inter Milan and Paris Saint-Germain also expressed interest but were unable to conclude a deal.

liverpool and QPR were also linked but the only rumoured interest left is from Anzhi Makhachkala in Russia, whose transfer window remains open.

Should Tevez return to City, he would do so against the backdrop of an ongoing dispute with the club.

The ex-Manchester United striker has appealed to the Premier League against the £1.2m fine for gross misconduct imposed on him by City.

Tevez has failed in one appeal to the club's board of directors after being charged over his failure to report for duty while back in his homeland.

A Premier League statement read: "The Premier League received correspondence from Carlos Tevez last night (Monday) giving notice of Mr Tevez's intention to appeal against a disciplinary sanction imposed on him by his club, Manchester City.

"The Premier League Board will consider this request at the earliest available opportunity."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News