Carlo plans go deep after rout
Carlo Ancelotti is ready to utilise the depth in his Chelsea squad after they went four points clear at the top of the Premier League with a 4-0 drubbing of Blackpool at Stamford Bridge.
The Italian will use the Carling Cup to blood his youngsters before welcoming back England men John Terry and Frank Lampard against Manchester City at the weekend.
Two goals from Florent Malouda and other strikes from Salomon Kalou and Didier Drogba put paid to Blackpool in a sensational opening half yesterday.
But Chelsea are entering a period where they play two games per week and Ancelotti is ready to use all his resources.
"We will need to use all of our players," said Ancelotti. "The squad is so strong that we can change players to offer something different to the team or change the shape if we want to.
"We want to show, during this season, that we can adapt to any game -- this can be our strength."
But victories over West Brom, Wigan, Stoke, West Ham and Blackpool have hardly stretched Chelsea and Ancelotti accepts their biggest test so far will come against City in the Premier League at Eastlands on Saturday.
"It is important to have confidence in our play -- we have that," said Ancelotti.
"We know the next game in the league will be more difficult.
"It is an important test for us next week but it is also an important test for them. We have not played against the top teams but we are playing well. It is necessary for us to do it against the top teams."
Ancelotti confirmed that Terry and Lampard should be fit after injuries to face City but he also revealed their Carling Cup team against Newcastle on Wednesday will predominantly be filled with youngsters.
"Frank is training, he is not 100pc yet," said Ancelotti. "He will be able to play against Manchester City. Terry had a problem with his ribs and was not able to play, but he should be okay in two or three days. We will change a lot of players for the Carling Cup because we want to use this competition for our younger players."
Blackpool boss Ian Holloway was left in awe of Chelsea's football as he watched his side capitulate in the opening 45 minutes.
"The plan was to keep it tight in the opening 10 minutes but that plan went out of the window. I am disappointed obviously," Holloway said.
"Some teams have taken us for granted but the champions didn't. Some of their movement was a bit different, I had not seen that before and it caused my players problems. They have a fantastic team here. They are world class.
"Well done to Chelsea. I've seen some football in my life but the way they played was a credit to Mr Ancelotti and their players. Hairs that I thought I'd lost were standing up at their football.
"We almost had a bit of stage fright in the first half. We could not get close to them. But in the second half we did.
"To see their football at first-hand is brilliant. It was phenomenal."