Saturday 23 February 2019

Bohs broken by late Cork clincher

Cork 1 Bohemians 0

WINNER: Gearóid Morrissey
WINNER: Gearóid Morrissey

A crowd of 3,604 at Turner's Cross was made to wait until the 89th minute but they were ultimately rewarded as sub Gearóid Morrissey scored the goal to keep Cork top of the table.

Having not played since picking up an injury against Shamrock Rovers on April 30, midfielder Morrissey was on hand when Graham Cummins kept Shane Griffin's free-kick alive, firing to the corner of Shane Supple's net.

Despite coming in on the back of six straight league wins since the scoreless draw against Derry just over a month ago, it was a game where the hosts were never fully in control.

Bohs never bowed down to the champions. From a Kevin Devaney corner, Ian Morris rose to meet the ball and he would have scored but for Barry McNamee block on the line and McNamee was there to repel Dinny Corcoran's follow-up.

When City won a corner at the other end, they almost scored too - but it was Bohs captain Derek Pender who headed the ball against his own post. That seemed to enliven them and another dead ball almost proved fruitful as Kieran Sadlier's delivery wasn't dealt with and Graham Cummins' sliding effort was heading in but for a great Supple save.

Early in the second half, City forced another chance as Steven Beattie - a first-half sub for the injured Karl Sheppard - drove in a low cross but Kieran Sadlier, under pressure, skied his effort over.

On 52, Devaney dispossessed Colm Horgan and fed the lively Dylan Watts, who slotted low past Mark McNulty, but the Bohs joy was only fleeting as the goal was ruled out for offside.

As the half wore on, it looked like it wouldn't be City's night. Bohs' Buckley almost scored an own goal but Supple saved well to maintain his clean sheet. However, there was time for one more City chance and Morrissey took it. Bohs sub Dan Byrne did have an opportunity of an equaliser at the death but McNulty denied him.

Elsewhere, Bray and Waterford shared the spoils at the Carlisle Grounds.

In manager Martin Russell's first home game in charge of the hosts, they registered a first clean sheet since April while Waterford featured in their first top-flight scoreless draw this season as Daniel Kelly came closest to winning it for Bray

Promoted articles

Entertainment News