| 0.1°C Dublin


TOUCH: Arthur Griffith's Dolapo Adeyemo controls well under pressure from Robbie O'Neill of Sportslink.

Eoin Bennis' strike fifteen minutes from time broke the hearts of Arthur Griffith Park on the Richmond Road on Saturday afternoon as they were denied a first league win.

17 year-old Dolapo Adeyemo had put the away side into a 12th minute lead and they looked on course to seal their first three points of the season against 2nd placed Ailesbury until Bennis' thunderbolt.

But it was Griffith Park that began the brightest and they could have been ahead seven minutes before they actually broke the deadlock.

Adeyemo was a threat all game and it was one of his menacing runs on the right that led to Nabil Jamal having a chance in front of goal but his effort was saved by Dan Davis.

Adeyemo couldn't be stopped soon after though when his lightening pace got him in behind the Ailesbury defence to latch onto Paddy Maher's through ball to round Davis and slide the ball home.

Before half time the home side were doing their best to get back on level terms.

Three minutes after falling behind, Ger Barry set-up Dec Murtagh and his effort looked destined for the top corner only for the visitors stand-in 'keeper, Aidan Kierwan, to pull off a tremendous save.

The home side continued to create chances down the clubhouse end but the away side were a threat going the other way with Shane Lambert lively down the left, Paul O'Kearney and Jamal strong down the centre and Adeyemo was still probing away down the right.

But it was Sportslink Ailesbury that looked the more likely to score midway through the half.

On 26 minutes, Barry was involved again for the hosts, this time crossing into the path of the on-rushing Adrian Kearns but he fired over from 12-yards.

Moments later, Murtagh's cross was just inches too high for Kearns.

The second period began in a tamer fashion to that of the first and it wasn't until the hour mark that both defences were tested.

On 57 minutes, Murtagh dragged an effort wide while up the other end, Griffith Park missed a glorious chance to double their advantage.

A hopeful ball played down the left saw Adeyemo steal the ball off the toe of Derek Colwell and closing in on goal at a tight angle he shot wide of the target much to the frustration of Jamal and O'Kearney who were unmarked in the centre.

Just after the hour mark, the visitors had two other chances to move two clear.

Firstly O'Kearney volleyed over Maher's corner and then Alan Kelly saw his header saved.

Ten minutes later, Griffith Park were left ruing those chances when Bennis levelled for the home side with a smashing finish in the far corner after Andy Lougheed and Ger Barry had done well in midfield.

Both side's had chances to win it in the final few minutes.

Brian McMillan's effort was cleared off the line by Maher, while down the other end Jonathon Spollen rounded Davis in the home goal only to see David Murphy clear off the line also.

FC SPORTSLINK AILESBURY: Dan Davis, Alan Fay, Robbie O'Neill, Derek Colwell, David Murphy, Adrian Kearns (Andy Lougheed 57), Ger Barry (Chris Smyth 79), Mark Eades (Brian McMillan 65), Eoin Bennis, Dec Murtagh, Luke Morrissey. Not used; Shane McGannon.

ARTHUR GRIFFITH PARK: Aidan Kierwan, Paul County, Eric Murtagh, Danny Kilduff, Nabil Jamal (Jonathan Spollen 73), Paddy Maher, Paul O'Kearney, Valentin Dragan, Dolapo Adeyemo (Graham Connick 86), Alan Kelly, Shane Lambert. Not used; John McNamara, Ciaran Maher, Karl County,

REFEREE: NormanLynch.

ASSISTANTS: Liam Byrne, Brian Lawless Jnr.

Sportslink: Back row left to right: Chris Smith, Shane McGowan, Eoin Bennis, Mark Eades, Derek Colwell, David Murphy, Ger Barry, Adrian Kearns, Andy Lougheed. Alan Fay, Luke Morrissey, Dan Davis, Del Murtagh, Robbie O'Neill. Pictures: Derek Keogh