Beckham signs new Galaxy deal
David Beckham today revealed how he turned down "many offers" from around the world to re-sign with LA Galaxy.
Beckham's five-year contract with the Major League Soccer side expired last month and he had been linked with a move to French side Paris St Germain.
However, the 36-year-old has signed a new two-year deal with the Galaxy, with whom he won last season's MLS Cup.
"This was an important decision for me," Beckham said. "I had many offers from clubs from around the world, however, I'm still passionate about playing in America and winning trophies with the Galaxy. I've seen first hand how popular soccer is now in the States and I'm as committed as ever to growing the game here. My family and I are happy and settled in America and we look forward to spending many more years here."
The happiness of his family was a major factor in the deal, and PSG's sporting director Leonardo admitted as much when the Paris move collapsed this month.
Beckham came through the ranks and enjoyed a fine career at Manchester United before joining Real Madrid in 2003.
He won one Primera Division title in Spain and then joined the Galaxy on a bumper pay deal that saw him become the highest paid player in the country.
Beckham spent two winters on loan at AC Milan during his original five-year deal at the Galaxy, and has also had training spells at Arsenal and Tottenham during MLS off seasons.
Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena said: "I am thrilled that David has chosen to re-join the Galaxy. I felt that he was one of the best players in all of MLS last season and we could not have achieved the success that we did without him."
The Galaxy return to competitive action on March 7 when they travel to face Toronto FC in the first leg of their CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final, and their MLS season opener is on March 10 at home to Real Salt Lake.