| 13.7°C Dublin

Bartels hits brace as Kilian's claim final berth

ST KILIAN'S DSD 3, ST FINTINA'S PP 1 - RUNNERS-UP last year St Kilian's DSD are just 90 minutes away from making it second time lucky after seeing off St Fintina's PP to reach the Leinster Senior Boys 'B' Cup final.

The Dublin school were beaten by Kevin's Community College in last year's showpiece and have looked determined to make up for that loss all season with some stunning wins.

That incredible form was evident at Leixlip United yesterday as Kilian's raced into a three-goal lead within an hour and marched into the final with a 3-1 win.

Fintina's came into the game on the back of last week's impressive 5-2 win over Coláiste Pobail in the quarter-finals, which followed their last-16 win over Drogheda Grammar School.

However, Kilian's started brightly and took a comfortable 2-0 advantage into the break after Sven Bartels grabbed a first-half brace.

The attacker latched onto a through ball from Jessie Kamm on 20 minutes before finishing in style and his second goal 10 minutes later was almost identical. This time it was Brian McCann who played the ball but Bartels' finishing prowess was exactly the same as he made no mistake.

Fifteen minutes into the second period Kamm intercepted a stray pass in the Fintina's defence and jinked his way into a shooting position before finishing.


Darren Ryan pulled one back for the Enfield school when he latched onto a Sean Coloe pass to fire home.

Fintina's piled on the pressure in the final stages in search of a second goal but it was Kilian's who went closest when Niall Carruthers struck the post from a corner.

In the other semi, CBS New Ross came from behind to see off 2010 winners Coláiste de híde.

New Ross fell 2-1 behind early in the second period, but had enough character to bounce back.

Substitute Daniel O'Connor grabbed the winning goal five minutes from time after Sean Duffy's penalty kick had levelled the scores.

New Ross grabbed the lead before half-time against the run of play. John Hallinger made no mistake from Sean Duffy's corner when he lost his marker into the box.

It was also from a corner that the equaliser came into the second period and this time it was a neat flick from Jack O'Cronin that beat Danielus Nieus in the New Ross goal. The stopper was beaten again by another O'Cronin goal but a contentious penalty decision was to bring New Ross back into the contest. O'Connor popped up late on to seal the result for New Ross and send them within 90 minutes of their first title

ST KILIAN'S DSD: Allesandro De Genor; Josh Knipschild, Maritz Welz, Graig Van Kutsem, Noah Sandys (Alex Witte 86), Brian McCann, Marcel Kossach (Evan Kavanagh 64), Nika Arevadze (Freddie Carew 73), Niall Carruthers, Sven Bartels, Jessie Kaam.

ST FINTINA'S PP: Evan Mullaly; Luke Maguire, Ryan Moore, Nathan Farrell, Ryan Leonard, Jake Byrne (Simon Daly 67), Sean Coloe, Darren Ryan, Evan Coyle, Adam Dowdall, Daniel Heagney.