Friday 19 January 2018

Hat-trick hero Parrott fires O’Connell boys to Leinster First Year ‘B’ glory

Leon Wheelock scores for O'Connell School
Leon Wheelock scores for O'Connell School

O’CONNELL School made up for last year’s Leinster First Year ‘B’ Boys Cup final heartbreak by storming to victory in this year’s showpiece.

Hat-trick hero Troy Parrott was the star of the show as the city-centre side saw off Dublin rivals St Kilian’s DSD at Stella Maris FC last Thursday.

Goals either side of half-time from Parrot put O’Connell in control of the final, before he followed up a Leon Wheelock finish by completing his treble.


Narrowly edged out in the first ever ‘B’ Cup final last year, North Richmond Street school O’Connell’s went into this year’s final buoyed by good form and home advantage.

The impressive surroundings of Stella Maris FC are closer to the school than their own pitch and they were hoping that fact would provide a crucial edge.

A Kilian’s side looking to make history for the second time in a week stood between them, however.

Well known for their success at Senior ‘B’ level in the girls and boys’ sections, Kilian’s had never reached a First Year provinical cup final until now.

Unfortunately, star man from their semi-final, and throughout the campaign, Ethan McGlynn-Levins, was injured and unable to help his school’s push for a first title.

Like McGlynn-Levins, Parrott had helped himself to a brace in his side’s semi-final victory and midway through a closely-fought first half he opened the scoring for O’Connell.

His low drive from the edge of the box evaded the reach of goalkeeper Adam Handschuh and gave the city-centre side a lead they would not relinquish.

Parrott doubled that advantage 10 minutes into the second half with another effort from outside the box – this time his high shot gave the stopper absolutely no chance.

Louis Murphy gave Kilian’s hope of a comeback attempt when he went close with a long-range effort that clipped the top of the crossbar.

Minutes later, the Clonskeagh side thought they had got back into the contest when Hugo Heisterkamp was played through on goal and rounded the advancing Denis Robu, but Sebastian Corcoran did brilliantly to stop the attacker scoring from close range.

O’Connell clinically capitalised on the close call by securing the victory with 10 minutes remaining when a flowing passing move, that saw Scott Shannon play Wheelock through on goal, and he made no mistake.

There was still time for Parrott to cap his own personal Man of the Match display with the hat-trick as he beat three defenders and cooly finished in style.

O’Connell play their All-Ireland semi-final next week.

O’CONNELL SCHOOL: Denis Robu; Jamie Murphy (Scott Coughlan 50), Sebastian Corcoran, Jordan Boylan, David Oprea, Troy Parrott, Lloyd Lawless, Evan Crosby, Scott Shannon, Leon Wheelock (Anton Snigez 50), Edward Iacob (Corey Cummins 45).

ST KILLIAN’S DSD: Adam Handschuh; Jack Fernandes, Denis Popov, Eoghan O’Connor, Charles Sabella, Michael Borodin, Louis Murphy, Nicholas Hederman, Daniel Barker, Nickita Kolefnikov, Hugo Heisterkamp. Subs: Asam Arimin, Asim Hlal,  Ben Coffey.


Leon Wheelock scores for O’Connell School; (opposite page) the winning team celebrates its final victory.


St Kilian’s DSD: (back, l-r) Ian Yang,  Denis Popov, Hubo Heisterkamp, Eoghan O’Connor, Nickita Kolefnikov, Michael Borrodin; (front, l-r)  Louis Murphy, Jack Fernandes, Adam Handschuh, Daniel Barker, Nicholas Hederman.


O’Connell School: (back, l-r) Denis Robu, Jordan Boylan, Llyod Lawless, Evan Crosbie, Leon Wheelock, Edward Jacob; (front, l-r) Jamie Murphy,  Danile Oprea, Troy Parrott,  Sebastian Corcoran,  Scott Shannon.                                            Pics: Ray Cullen

Promoted articles

Entertainment News