| 8.4°C Dublin

Sars show class as they reign in Clane

SARSFIELDS of Laois lifted the Bill Daly Cup on Sunday afternoon. The game did him proud.

It was the Tesco Leinster Senior Club Championship final in Clane.

There was a nice piece on him in the programme.

"We remember Bill fondly today, and for many years to come," said Leinster President, Marie Hickey, at the presentation.

The holders took the trophy, 1-9 to 1-7.

They had Tracey Lawlor delivering a master-class.

She is one of the greatest players the game has seen. Her left peg could hang out the washing.

She was the heartbeat of this victory. She collected the Player-of-the-Match award.

She wore the number 14 shirt, but she played in midfield. Right from the throw-in, she stamped her quality all over the hour.

Clever, incisive passes. Opening windows and doors. Backing up the play.

Always available to take possession. In deep defence one minute, popping them over the bar the next.

She reads the play so well. The footballer's footballer.

Sars also had prominent contributions from centre half-forward Ciara Burke, while their left half-back, Alison McEvoy, excelled in the second period.

The Laois champions defended so well. They got in so many blocks.

It was very difficult for the Glasnevin girls to get a clear view of the posts.

"It was a tough, tough game," reflected Na Fianna manager Ray Dorney.

"In fairness to Sarsfields, they put us under a lot of pressure in the first half and they defended brilliantly in the second half.

"It just wasn't our day. The girls put everything into it.

"It's tough to see them disappointed, but that's football.

"They have had a good campaign and we are very proud of them."

Early on, the sizzling pace of Orlagh Egan looked like it might trouble the Sars. And the Mobhi centre half-forward, Nadine Doherty, was spraying sweet passes around the Kildare turf.

The action was compelling. Ten minutes went before a score was recorded. And it was all the better for that.

It was Burke who knocked over the first point at the pavilion end, and at half-time Sars led by 1-3 to 0-3.

The goal arrived on 19 minutes. Lawlor was its chief architect. Meaghan Dunne provided the finish, a thundering strike from the right that sped to the far corner.

Na Fianna's first half returns all came from Egan, two from the placed ball.

Three minutes into the second period, Alma O'Donnell's point left just two points in it.


Then the Dubs 'keeper, Sorcha Turnbull, had to make a smart stop from Laura-Marie Maher.

The Laois side hit three unanswered points, two from Lawlor (one free) and Maher.

Doherty replied with a point for Na Fianna. She was then inches away from a goal.

Lawor and Egan exchanged points. Sarsfields got the next two scores from Laura Peake and a Lawlor free.

A minute of normal time left and Sars were ahead by six points. In the third minute of injury-time, Ciara McDermott sent one over for Na Fianna. Then Egan rattled in a goal. Two points in it. But time was up.