herald

Monday 18 December 2017

Sisters doin' it for charity

The Irish Heart Foundation says 'No men allowed!' as it calls for ladies to take part in the women's mini-marathon on June 7. Irish Heart Foundation stroke nurse Susie Doyle was forced to turn down big-hearted giant Leinster prop Mike Ross because it is a "women-only" event.

Instead the charity urged women of all ages to come forward and register for the mini-marathon to help raise vital funds to support stroke victims.

The charity's own Head of Fundraising, Aidan Stacey, was also unable to nab a sponsorship card despite his best efforts to get into the spirit of the mini-marathon wearing by a blonde wig and tutu.

The FUN-draising chief said: "The mini-marathon is a major date on the Irish calendar attracting more than 40,000 participants every year. I wanted to be part of this incredible event, walking and running my way to the finish line, knowing that the money I had raised was going to a good cause.

"I'm devastated I can't take part but my consolation is that I know there are plenty who will be happy to take my place."

The charity is looking for 400 ladies to take part and raise at least €50 or more on the day for the Irish Heart Foundation's national stroke campaign to reduce deaths from the country's third biggest killer.

Last year more than 250 heart runners and walkers took part in the women's mini marathon in aid of the Irish Heart Foundation, including TV3's Siobhan Bastible.

Together they raised a total of €50,000 for the Irish Heart Foundation's resuscitation training programmes in communities nationwide.

To take part in the mini-marathon in aid of the Irish Heart Foundation see www.irishheart.ie, or call Elaine Carberry on 01 6685001 or email ecarberry@irishheart.ie.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News