| -0.6°C Dublin

Purring Pat's put Wesley to sword for first Fr Godfrey



St Patrick's Navan became the first Section A, or Duff Junior Cup qualifier, to win the Fr Godfrey (Section B) Cup at Templeville Road yesterday.

And they did it in style with a half-dozen tries, including two from their outside centre Ben McEntaggart in the 12th and 25th minutes to sandwich another from inside centre Conor Nash. This had the effect of putting St Pat's into the driving seat at 21-0, their out-half Christian Byrne converting all three of them.


Wesley hit back with a try by prop Andrew Egan, converted by fly-half Adam Curry just before the break.

It got more interesting when Curry's penalty narrowed the gap to 11 points in the 32nd minute to create a degree of uncertainty. However, the Meath boys slipped back into a higher gear with three more tries by their openside David Ahearne, right wing Hubert Paklak and fly-half Byrne to win the competition for the first time in their history.

SCORERS – St Patrick's Navan: C Byrne try, 3 cons; B McEntaggart 2 tries; C Nash, D Ahearne, H Paklak try each. Wesley College: A Egan try; A Curry pen, con.

St Patrick's Navan: Brian Conlon; Hubert Paklak, Ben McEntaggart, Conor Nash, Keelan McKeever; Christian Byrne, Niall McGrane; Fiachra Finnegan, Padraic Stafford, Alex McGoey, JJ O'Dea, Padraic Diamond, Charlie McGarry, David Ahearne, Conor Hand (capt). Replacements: Dylan Curley for Ahearne (46 mins); Eoghan Monaghan for O'Dea (48 mins); David Gordon for Stafford (51 mins); Finn Searle for McKeever (53 mins); Eoin Reid for Paklak (55 mins); Gavin Pentony for Finnegan (57 mins).

Wesley: Alastair Quirk; Calvin Nugent, Daniel Gilmer, Matthew Strong, Conor Kirwan; Adam Curry, Eric Riumbau-Soler; Andrew Egan, Matthew Guest, Peter Major, Andrew Burgess, Luke Corish, Neil Morris, Ben Whitehead, Stephen May (capt). Replacements: Niall McGurk for Egan (45 mins); Ben Whitley for Corish, Max Chooi for Nugent (both 46 mins); R Sparkes for Douglas (both 53 mins); Daniel Fitzgerald for Kirwan, Rob Sparkes for Morris (both 55 mins).

Referee: John Carvill, Leinster Branch.