Aviva dressing room damage caused by opening door the wrong way, says ARU
The Australian Rugby Union has downplayed the damage caused at the Aviva Stadium last weekend, stating that it was caused by a loose bolt from a door hinge.
It was reported that up to €8,000 worth of damage had been caused by an unnamed player or member of staff in the aftermath of their 29-26 defeat to Ireland in Autumn international last Saturday.
"There was an accident after the match involving one of our support staff," a source is quoted as telling the Irish Examiner in the aftermath of the controversy. "We made the IRFU aware of this on the evening of the game and have offered our assistance in any way if required.”
In a Facebook post on their official page today, the ARU has strenuously denied that the damage was caused by a furious member of staff and said they immediately contacted the IRFU over the incident.
They stress that the cause of the damage was caused by accidentally opening a dressing room door the wrong way.
"One of the Wallabies support staff members accidentally opened a door the wrong way when going into the change room," the statement read.
"A bolt from the door’s hinge went into the wall and created a small hole. We immediately notified venue management and have offered to help with any repair costs. Any suggestion that this was a player or member of staff acting angrily after losing the game isn't true."