herald

Thursday 17 October 2019

Taylor's miss from a rose

Brazil fighter Volante's running scared from Bray Bomber Katie

Katie Taylor at a press conference at the County Club in Dunshaughlin yesterday. Pic: Sportsfile
Katie Taylor at a press conference at the County Club in Dunshaughlin yesterday. Pic: Sportsfile

Katie Taylor will learn today whether her planned World title fight against Brazilian Rose Volante will go ahead as planned on March 16 in the Lacouras Centre in Philadelphia.

The two camps remain deadlocked over the financial terms of the contest. A scheduled announcement about the contest had to be postponed yesterday when the Volante camp refused to accept the financial terms on offer.

Taylor's manager Brian Peters said the Brazilian, who is the undefeated WBO belt holder, was issued with an ultimatum which is due to expire later today.

"The talks are ongoing as we speak. She has been given 24 hours to decide," he said.

Offer

"This has been going on long enough. But Katie Taylor's career will not be held up by any other fighter. It is just unfortunate. She has been offered life-changing money.

"By noon on Friday Volante will be either in or out. We thought we would announce it today," said Peters, who said he was sure the latest offer which was tabled on Wednesday would have been accepted by the Brazilian boxer.

"We can't be held to ransom. It is fierce disappointing that she wouldn't take the fight," said Peters, who revealed that Volante had been the first-choice fighter for Katie's Madison Square Garden title fight last weekend.

Ultimately, the two sides couldn't agree terms and the challenge was taken up by WBC super featherweight title holder Eva Wahlstrom, who suffered her first pro defeat against a rampant Taylor who fashioned a shut-out 100-90 win.

The defending WBC lightweight champion Delfine Persoon, who the Taylor camp was targeting for a reunification fight in June - possibly in Madison Square Garden on the undercard of an Anthony Joshua fight - is proving equally elusive.

Even though the undefeated Belgian declared 24 hours ago she was prepared to fight Taylor anywhere in the world, according to Peters' matchmaker Tomás Rohan, the vibes from her camp suggest she will only take on the Bray boxer on home soil. Peters confirmed that the Persoon camp had offered Taylor €130,00 while the press conference was in progress for her to take the fight in Belgium.

"Katie wouldn't get out of bed for that kind of money," said Peters.

Taylor herself remains sanguine about the talks being deadlocked.

"I've learned that this is part of the pro game and that is the most frustrating thing about it. I want these fights but other girls are not stepping up to the plate," she said.

Taylor did predict that the contests against Volante and Persoon will eventually happen.

"I think they will happen because there will be such a demand for them," she suggested.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News