Motorsport: Rea absence longer than thought
Jonathan Rea will miss more of the current World Superbike season than was first anticipated after he underwent surgery on Wednesday.
The Castrol Honda rider, from Northern Ireland, crashed last weekend during the warm-up in Misano and suffered a fractured wrist in the process.
It was hoped Rea, 24, would only miss this weekend's seventh round in Spain but during surgery to repair the fracture previously undiscovered ligament damage was also found. The extra treatment means Rea is now likely to also miss round eight in the Czech Republic and he revealed he was 'devastated' by the news.
"I was pretty upset when I got the news after the surgery yesterday because it means a longer rehab than we'd thought. It's difficult, of course, and I'm devastated, but I've got a great team around me so I know I'll get all the support I need to come back strong," he said.
"As I said before, I want to be 100% when I get back on the bike so, at the moment, I'm not going to put a definitive timescale on that. I'll just concentrate on getting back to fitness as fast and as completely as I can."
© Press Association