herald

Friday 24 November 2017

Mayweather calls out Pacquiao for May fight

FLOYD MAYWEATHER Jr has taken his quest for a fight with Manny Pacquiao to Twitter.

The unbeaten Mayweather publicly challenged and taunted the Filipino superstar yesterday, daring Pacquiao to meet him on May 5 in Las Vegas.

“Manny Pacquiao, I'm calling you out. Let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see,” Mayweather tweeted.

Moments later, Mayweather tweeted: “My jail sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up punk.”

Mayweather is available for a fight in May at the MGM Grand Garden after a judge agreed last week to postpone his jail sentence in a domestic violence case until June. Mayweather was sentenced to 87 days in jail, but is likely to serve less time.

Mayweather and Pacquiao are boxing's top two stars, and they have circled each other warily for more than two years. Both have said they're eager to fight, yet still haven't reached a deal for what's likely to be the most lucrative bout in boxing history.

Narrow

While Pacquiao appeared to be more eager for the fight when the two first began verbally sparring in 2009, Mayweather has taken the lead in recent months, stepping up his campaign since Pacquiao's narrow win over Juan Manuel Marquez last November.

Mayweather's tweets appear to put the fight's future in Pacquiao's hands.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum |travelled to the Philippines this week to meet Pacquiao – he has repeatedly said Mayweather won't actually agree to fight Pacquiao because he fears losing – and has a list of candidates, including Marquez, Miguel Cotto, Lamont Peterson and Timothy Bradley Jr, for Pacquiao's next bout.

Arum also has suggested Pacquiao might not be ready to prepare for a fight in May because of a facial cut from his win over Marquez.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News