| 19.5°C Dublin

Janowicz roars way through after tantrum

POLAND'S Jerzy Janowicz could not afford to come to the Australian Open last year but today he made a real mark on the grand slam with a spectacular tantrum followed by a brilliant comeback from two sets down.

The 24th seed exploded with rage over a line call in the tiebreak at the end of the 79-minute first set against Somdev Devvarman, roaring his displeasure, hitting the umpire's chair with his racket and throwing his water bottle across court.

At one stage, the 22-year-old collapsed to his knees in frustration with his forehead touching the playing surface on court eight.

"I was really worried about his voice," said Indian Devvarman. "He was really yelling at the top of his lungs and I said, 'Dude, calm down'."

Devvarman took the tiebreak 12-10 to win the set and, at the changeover, Janowicz again argued his case with Croatian umpire Marija Cicak before making the point more forcefully with his racket.

Janowicz regained his composure and was back on his knees in celebration 161 minutes later after a 6-7 3-6 6-1 6-0 7-5 victory that secured him a third round tie against Spanish 10th seed Nicolas Almagro.

"The umpires, they're making so many mistakes ... this was the moment when I went nuts, otherwise the rest of the match I was pretty calm," said Janowicz, who reached the final of the Paris Masters last November.

"Sometimes it happens like this. You can't control your emotions all the time. This was a really big point for me.

"We played this set for more than an hour and 10 minutes, so this was a really important point for me."

American Brian Baker's hopes of a fairytale run were ended in the cruellest of fashions when he was taken off court in a wheelchair after suffering a serious knee injury.

The 27-year-old, who returned in 2012 after seven injury-plagued years off the professional circuit, had won the first set of his second round match against compatriot Sam Querrey when he suffered the injury.

After receiving treatment on his right knee, Baker was wheeled away with a torn lateral meniscus, which will require surgery and four months on the sidelines.