Tuesday 21 November 2017

Hat-trick in Oz for Murray

Scot sends Nishikori packing to make his third successive semi

ANDY MURRAY reached his third successive Australian Open semi-final today after easing past Kei Nishikori.

The world number four was rarely troubled by his Japanese opponent, winning 6-3 6-3 6-1 in two hours and 12 minutes, as he maintained his smooth progress through the draw in Melbourne.

Murray will have better days on serve - he got just 44pc of first serves into play - but, that aside, there was little room for improvement as he moved into a last-four clash.

"It was a good match, a lot of fun points, most of them he was winning so I was trying to keep them as short as possible," said Murray.

"But I need to serve better, I didn't serve particularly well but the returning was good so that was a positive.

"My game has been getting better each match and I am moving better and I am going to be fresh going into the weekend."

Nishikori, the first player from Japan to reach the last eight in Australia in 80 years, showed glimpses of his potential but, like Murray's previous opponent, Mikhail Kukushkin, he seemed fatigued by his efforts in previous rounds.

The 22-year-old had spent four hours more on court than Murray in reaching this stage and it showed as he was outplayed.

It may have been muscle stiffness or stagefright which contributed to his slow start, Murray breaking for a 2-0 lead with a sliced backhand up the line after an energy-sapping 43-stroke rally.

He threatened an immediate riposte after a series of unforced errors from Murray but some lazy footwork saw Nishikori's chance evaporate.

Murray then wasted two more break points as Nishikori finally got on the board in the fourth game. That seemed to boost his confidence as the underdog started to shine.

Murray, however, won the game for 4-1 and then threatened again in the next, setting up three break points before Nishikori held.

Both players were struggling on serve and Murray fell 0-40 down in the seventh game, but again the Japanese failed to convert as the fourth seed averted the danger.

Nishikori struggled to another unconvincing hold before Murray served out the set.

The pattern of the match continued at the start of the second with the players trading breaks, although Nishikori had to rely on a fortuitous net cord on game point.

Murray maintained the pressure, though, by winning the next two games and he also had a point to go 4-1 up as the Japanese, despite holding on, started to look like he was feeling the pace.

The next three games remained on serve, with Murray dictating the majority of points and certainly looking the fresher.

Nishikori was made to serve to stay in the set at 3-5 but he failed to do so as Murray applied the pressure and his opponent buckled to lose the second set.

From two sets down and given his physical condition, a Nishikori comeback was looking increasingly unlikely.

And the feeling it was beyond him grew when Murray swiftly established a 5-1 lead, with Nishikori's serve again lacking the potency that is required at this level.

And Murray experienced few problems in serving it out as his bid for a maiden grand slam crown remained on track.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News