Friday 21 September 2018

Chisora is given indefinite ban

DERECK CHISORA has been handed an indefinite ban and heavy fine by the World Boxing Council following his behaviour before and after his heavyweight title fight with Vitali Klitschko earlier this month.

Chisora slapped his opponent at the weigh-in and spat water at Klitschko's brother, Wladimir, before being embroiled in a brawl with British rival David Haye at the post-fight press conference in Munich.

In a statement, the World Boxing Council declared Chisora had committed “one of the worst behaviours ever by a professional boxer” and said the ban would not be reconsidered until Chisora had undertaken anger management classes.

In reality, the WBC's ban is unlikely to impact on Chisora's existing options.

He was unlikely to fight for their title again anyway, and faces a British Boxing Board of Control hearing on March 14, at which he can expect a lengthy ban.

The WBC statement said: “The WBC is absolutely condemning the behaviours that are not to be accepted in boxing under any circumstances and will act as soon as it can proceed to impose the fines and sanctions as we consider necessary.


“The WBC is imposing a serious fine to be finally determined after the hearing. “The WBC will also take off, from the WBC rankings, the name of Dereck Chisora and declare an indefinite suspension against fighting again for a WBC title, while demanding Chisora to take anger management medical treatment after which his suspension will be reconsidered.”

Frank Warren, Chisora's promoter, criticised the WBC for failing to go through a full disciplinary process.

“What I find strange about this is that there hasn't been a hearing,” he said. “Somebody arbitrarily saying ‘you're banned' can't be any form of natural justice.

“Even the police in Germany let Dereck Chisora go after questioning (him about the Haye brawl).

“A lot of things happened behind the scenes. There were some things which he did which absolutely were wrong and he shouldn't have done, and I'm not condoning that.

“But at the end of the day, you are entitled to a hearing before anybody makes a decision.”

Chisora was arrested then released without charge after the incident with Haye, which started after Chisora confronted his fellow Londoner at the post-fight press conference.

Following the resulting brawl, Chisora shouted threats at his rival, who subsequently left Germany and is wanted for questioning.

The WBC statement made no mention of Haye, who is unlicensed.


Chisora issued a statement in which he admitted his behaviour was “inexcusable”, but added: “There were many things that went on behind the scenes that ultimately caused my frustrations to boil over – however, this is of course no excuse.”

The German Boxing Federation has already indicated that neither Chisora nor Haye will be welcome to fight again on German soil – another obstacle to Haye's hopes of getting back in the ring with one of the Klitschkos.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News