Tuesday 12 December 2017

Mighty Quinn inspires Vins

Vintage Vins impress in the clash of the heavyweights

Diarmuid Connolly
Diarmuid Connolly

A grey evening in Donnycarney. "Anyone there for the hats and colours," shouted the man outside Parnell Park.

There was a mighty crowd at HQ. The stand was almost packed. Pillar Caffrey made his way to the throbbing terrace.

Mick Hanley had made two quality signings for Dublin City FM - Paul Clarke and Alan Larkin.

Fergus Carroll of Near FM was also at ringside. Coman Goggins was up in the commentary box. So was Oisín Langan.


Oisín came out with a couple of gems. "There's a jewel of a point from Cormac Diamond".

And "it's been a good day at the office for Mossy Quinn…literally".

Mossy never missed a pot in a game that had all the anticipation of a tea-time treat from Mr Kipling.

But Barry Hearne's Super Saturday Promotion never really took flight under the lights.

Vincent's carried the assurance of champions. Hungry for every crumb. Ballymun showed pockets of promise. Five points in succession, four before the break, brought them level on 0-9 apiece two minutes into the second half.

But just as quickly, the Marino men stretched off into the night again, hitting the next eight points without reply.

It was good to see Ger Brennan back on the bridge. He always seems to have more time than a Rolex.

Alongside him, Nathan Mullins was superb.

He made one brilliant catch in the second half. And he prevented a certain goal midway through the same half when he blocked a point-blank pile-driver from Elliott Reilly. Mullins hit two fine points. One of the best of the day came from Joe Feeney with the outside of his right boot from wide on the right at the church end late on.

Feeney impressed when he came off the bench. James Burke, the Mun captain, struck one of the sweetest points before the interval.

Goal chances were rare. Shane Carthy released Diarmuid Connolly on 24 minutes, but Evan Comerford, Dublin's minor netminder this year, made a terrific stop.

Seconds later, Philly McMahon launched a big one to the back stick which Dean Rock flicked across the mouth of the goal. On the hour, Karl Connolly received his second yellow card from referee, David O'Connor, who had an excellent match.

At that stage, it mattered little. Many of the attendance were already on their way home for the rugby.

SCORERS - St Vincent's: T Quinn 0-9 (7f, 1 45), N Mullins, D Connolly (1f), K Golden 0-2 each, Cameron Diamond, S Carthy, Cormac Diamond, J Feeney 0-1 each. Ballymun Kickhams: D Rock 0-4 (3f, 0-1pen), J Whelan 0-2, K Connolly, A Hubbard, J Small, J Burke, D Gibney, L O'Donovan, P Small 0-1 each.

ST VINCENT'S: M Savage; Cameron Diamond, J Curley, M Concarr; B Egan, G Brennan, N Mullins; E Fennell, S Carthy; G Burke, D Connolly, Cormac Diamond; R Trainor, C Dorney, T Quinn. Subs: K Golden for Fennell (inj, 21); J Feeney for Dorney (38); H Gill for Cameron Diamond (Blood, 57); A Baxter for Trainor (59); C Wilson for Cormac Diamond (63); M Loftus for Golden (65).

BALLYMUN KICKHAMS: E Comerford; K Connolly, P McMahon, A Hubbard; Eoin Dolan, J Small, J Burke; D Byrne, D Gibney; A O'Brien, D Rock, J McCarthy; J Whelan, K Leahy, F Andrews. Subs: T Furman for O'Brien (36); E Reilly for Andrews (48); P Small for Leahy (52); L O'Donovan for Whelan (59); E Archibold for Gibney (59)

REF: D O'Connor (Naomh Mearnóg).

dublin sfc rnd 2: St Vincent's 0-19; Ballymun Kickhams 0-13

Promoted articles

Entertainment News