herald

Tuesday 13 November 2018

Weld open to hurdling run for returning ace Conquest

Dermot Weld has raised the possibility of 2008 Derby third Casual Conquest racing over hurdles.

The five-year-old has not been seen since picking up an injury in the Irish Champion Stakes behind Sea The Stars 12 months ago.

He has since been gelded and is soon due to return to Weld's Curragh base.

"Casual Conquest got a leg injury when he ran in the Irish Champion Stakes last year," said Weld.

"He's had his time off, he's due to come back in a few weeks.

"We'll just take it easy with him over the winter and hopefully get him back next spring.

"He's a very, very high-class horse. He might be a six-year-old next year, but we've a lot to look forward to with him.

"I haven't made a definite decision (whether he sticks to the Flat) but it is possible we could venture elsewhere with him.

"If we are fortunate enough that he stays sound, we could have an awful lot of fun with him on the Flat and maybe even over hurdles," he said.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News