herald

Sunday 19 August 2018

Recuperated Casey jumps back in the saddle at Gowran

DAVID CASEY was making his return to the saddle at Gowran today after nearly two months off with a broken ankle.

The injury-plagued jockey, who has been out of action since early August, had one ride for Charlie Swan in the Freshford Handicap Hurdle on Jewel In The Sun.

"The cast came off two weeks ago but (orthopaedic surgeon) Paddy Kenny wouldn't let me back race-riding for two weeks," said Casey.

"I've been to the gym every day since, and I've also been riding out a few days at the Curragh for James Nash and done a couple of bits of work for Willie Mullins.

"I've not been able to do a whole lot over the last few months. With the cast and the crutches, your two arms are gone and your leg is gone. But then a couple of weeks ago they redid the cast and I was able to put a bit of weight on it, so that gave me a bit more movement.

"I decided not to go away on a holiday as it was going to be very uncomfortable. I was fairly bored for a few weeks.

"The most important thing is to get back going and build on it from there. Hopefully I can get back riding a few winners."

lJack Mitchell (pictured) will be on the sidelines for six months after testing positive to a metabolite of cocaine at Newmarket in May.

The rider appeared before the disciplinary panel of the British Horseracing Authority for a hearing into the sample, which had been found to contain benzoylecgonine, a diagnostic metabolite of cocaine and a banned substance.

In a statement issued on Wednesday through his solicitor Christopher Stewart-Moore, Mitchell, 22, said: "I accept the findings of the BHA's Medical Committee unreservedly.

"I acknowledge that my actions which led to me testing positive for a metabolite of cocaine were unacceptable as well as foolish.

"I am extremely sorry for letting down those trainers who have supported me in the past and who continue to support me.

"I am also remorseful for the anguish that my actions have caused to my family and I am grateful for their support and understanding throughout this difficult time.

"I would like to reassure everyone in racing that this was a one-off occurrence and that it will never happen again.

"I have been tested at the racecourse by BHA testers on many occasions before and since the positive reading with negative results in each case.

"I have the support of my family, trainers and friends to go forward to next season with a positive note."

A statement from the BHA today said that the Panel "accepted an admission from Jack Mitchell, who was legally represented, that he was in breach of Rule (D)65 of the Rules of Racing."

Mitchell will be suspended from October 7 to April 6 inclusive.

lJockey Franny Norton was handed a 40-day suspension after appearing before the disciplinary panel of the British Horseracing Authority.

The panel inquired into the breath sample provided by Norton at Chester on May 5 this year, which was found to contain alcohol in a concentration above the threshold level permitted in breath under Schedule (D)3 of the Rules of Racing.

A BHA statement read: "Having considered the evidence, the Panel accepted an admission from Franny Norton, who was legally represented, that he was in breach of Rule (D)66."

It added that "the level of alcohol found was 36micrograms/100ml, which fell within the range of the 'Upper Level'."

The suspension runs Friday, October 7 to Wednesday, November 23 inclusive, on days on which Flat racing is scheduled to take place.

A veteran of the weighing room, Norton enjoyed big-race success earlier this month when steering Our Jonathan to glory in the William Hill Ayr Gold Cup.

lRobert Cowell believes rohibit will return to France on Sunday in the form of his life for the Qatar Prix de l'Abbaye.

Cowell's stable star has been a revelation this season since winning at the Dubai Carnival in February, and has held his form throughout, winning the King's Stand at Royal Ascot and defying a penalty in a Group Three last time out at Longchamp.

Having finished sixth in the Abbaye behind Gilt Edge Girl 12 months ago, Prohibit will go back to Paris as one of the favourites this year.

"He's in great form. He'll go to Longchamp in fine fettle," Cowell said. "When we bought him he'd only made £30,000 in prize money and he's now up to over £450,000 in two years. From a financial point of view he's been an absolute success story."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News