herald

Thursday 16 August 2018

Better late than never for Dunguib

A week later than scheduled, the Grade Two Red Mills Trial Hurdle is set to feature the eagerly anticipated seasonal debut of Dunguib, whose connections won't decide on a future target until after Saturday's engagement at Gowran Park.

Philip Fenton's stable star had been expected to start his campaign in the Irish Champion Hurdle, but an unsatisfactory blood test ruled him out of last month's assignment and with the weather playing havoc with the Irish fixture list, Dunguib's return was postponed a further week until this coming Saturday.

He will face a possible nine rivals in the two-mile contest, including Voler La Vedette who won Sunday's Boyne Hurdle at Navan, while the classy Fiveforthree could make his first appearance in two seasons for Willie Mullins.

Also at Gowran Park on Saturday, Thyestes Chase winner Siegemaster is one of 11 names entered for the Grade Two Red Mills Chase, in which Roberto Goldback, Follow The Plan, Scotsirish and Rubi Light are all included.

Following Saturday's horrific scenes at Newbury, officials have announced that the meeting -- which was abandoned after the deaths of two horses -- is to be rescheduled for Friday.

A statement released yesterday evening by Newbury Racecourse said; "Newbury has received an assurance from Southern Electric Power Distribution that the paddock site is safe for both horses and people."

Friday's meeting will be a seven-race card with the remaining races to be run and the first gets underway at 12.10.

Trainers to comment on the new date were Paul Nicholls and Nicky Henderson, with Nicholls stating: "We support 100 per cent, the decision to race on Friday at Newbury Racecourse and we will be sending our runners to this fixture."

Henderson added a similar vote of confidence for the track. "We will be sending our intended runners," he said.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News