Tuesday 16 January 2018

Tipp's 13 men beat elements and Offaly

Seamus Callanan, Tipperary
Seamus Callanan, Tipperary

Despite finishing the game with 13 men, Tipperary accounted for Offaly in Tullamore yesterday by 1-16 to 0-13 as a powerful opening 35 minutes, aided by strong winds, gave them the cushion they needed to deal with the second half sending offs of Séamus Callanan and Cathal Barrett.


Tipp led by 13 points at the break with Callanan striking the rasping goal as Eamon O’Shea’s men worried more about protecting their lead rather than building on it in the second half.

Offaly got into the game in the second half and had a late 21 metre free and penalty saved on the line late on as they threw caution to the wind.  That said, Tipp never looked like surrending their half time buffer and move on to the semi final, where they will be without the services of Callanan who picked up a straight red card three minutes into the second half for an off the ball incident.

“We don’t consider that a factor at all, players know it’s very simple, if one can’t play, someone else will.

“He’s been getting a lot of punishment. He got a lot of punishment last Sunday, so did John O’Dwyer and he couldn’t play today because of it. That’s the nature of the game”, insisted Tipp manager Eamon O’Shea.

O’Shea continued: “I think for the fifth game in a row we showed that our attitude was top class, that’s all we’re looking at today. We’re really proud of the lads today, they battled and they worked hard, it wasn’t easy to hurl out there. Offaly came with a formidable challenge in the second half and that’s the way the game unfolded”.

With five minutes left, Tipp were reduced to 13 men when Cathal Barrett picked up his second yellow as Brian Carroll bore down on goal.  Dooley struck for goal but Darragh Egan saved with Dooley stroking over the resulting ‘65’.

A minute later, Carroll was fouled inside the box but the resulting penalty from Dooley was saved on the line as a frantic final seven minutes or so concluded with Tipp prevailing by six points as Brian Carroll’s late goal chance blazed over the bar.

“With the wind the way it was, it was always going to be a game of two halves. All credit to my lads, they battled hard away in the second half”, said Offaly boss Brian Whelahan.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News