herald

Tuesday 12 December 2017

Tipp boss leaves door open for Corbett

DECLAN RYAN left the door for a Lar Corbett return firmly ajar yesterday after Tipp team qualified for the Waterford Crystal final with a 0-26 to 1-19 win over Cork after extra time in Templemore.

The Tipperary manager was overseeing his team in their first outing post-Lar but sounded mildly optimistic that the Thurles Sarsfields man would perform an about-turn before the 'real' hurling begins during the summer.

"Larry has opted out of the panel for the time being due to work commitments. We're hopeful that we might see him in the blue-and-gold again but that will be his decision. It's unfortunate but we have go on, wait and see. He just said that he couldn't give the commitment that he wanted to at the moment. He has work commitments that he said he needs to give his time to. We're hoping that will change."

Ryan added that Corbett's natural athleticism would mean he would not overly suffer from missing preparations during the winter and spring but set a deadline of the beginning of the championship for a change of heart for the 2010 Hurler of the Year.

"Lar's a mercurial character and he doesn't take that long to get fit," he noted. "We'd be happy to see him any time between now and the end of May."

GALWAY were brought crashing down to earth yesterday by All-Ireland champions, KIlkenny in Pearse Stadium after a 2-20 to 1-14 Walsh Cup final defeat.

The Tribesmen, who had been in ominous form in their previous victories, were comprehensively beaten despite fielding close to a full-strength team featuring at least a dozen players who are in line to start against Dublin in their Allianz League Division 1A opener on Sunday week.

Brian Cody was back on the sideline for the first time this year and he brought with him 12 of their All-Ireland winning team of last September as Richie Power (0-11, 8f, 1 '65'), Richie Hogan (1-3) and Eoin Larkin (1-1) proved far too much for the Galway defence to handle.

DERRYTRESK chairman, Barney Campbell, lashed the media after his embattled team went down by a single point to Galway's Clonbur in yesterday's All-Ireland Club JFC final by 1-8 to 1-7.

After the match, Derrytresk manager Paul Hughes refused to speak to any of the waiting press bar two online magazines and after an intervention by GAA staff, Campbell cut loose on representatives of the national media.

"We're down seven men today because of the media," he blasted. "We didn't get a fair trial and it's because of the media that we're in this situation.

"What happened happened but nothing would have been made of it if it wasn't for the media so we'll not be talking to them."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News