| 7.9°C Dublin

Slick Peregrine's fly over Faughs

THE morning after the night before in a Dublin hurling stronghold. The grey clouds over Tymon Park summed up the mood.

But despite the result from Ennis, the bread still has to be buttered. Life goes on. And nowhere do they cherish their hurling more than at Faughs.

Themselves and St Peregrine's produced a worthy AHL Division 3 encounter in the pouring rain, and on a sod that had been shaved for Féile on Thursday but had grown a few inches taller since.

The chap in the ice-cream van down in the car park wasn't doing much business. A Garda squad car looked in on the action, and even the local swans climbed out of the pond to also have a peek.

It was the fourth win for the polished Pers. They are keen to go back senior. On this evidence, they stand a fair chance.

They were the slicker outfit. They defended impressively. Full-back, Seamus Mac Comhamna, ruled the sky. Centre half-back, Eoin Comerford, showed class, as did the left half-back, Shane Sweeney. Shane is a champion ball winner, and when he has it, the sliotar doesn't end up in the cheap seats. There's always a compass on his pass.

Deep in injury-time, as Faughs chased a goal that would have brought them level, a dangerous ball floated about 50 metres from the visitors' kitchen.

Shane called for it, claimed it and sent another express delivery to a waiting colleague. From it, Colm Foley popped over the insurance point.

Shane always kept it simple. And mirroring the Peregrine's jersey, his style is very much black and white.

Credit the hosts for their spirited comeback. In the early pages of the second half, they trailed by 10 points.

They have won one game from six, drawn one and lost four. A little cluster of favourable results would keep them afloat.


The great Johnny Small might help them do it. The cultured stick-smith of the fair city has hit a million points over the years. Micheal Devane, Traolach Martin and Eoin Twomey enjoyed some bright moments.

But the Faughs' forwards were presented with very few early Sunday morning bargains here. Time and again, the Blakestown boys just shut up shop.

They were also very sharp in attack. Declan Cody struck some elegant scores. And inside the opening seconds, Christian O'Hara gave them the lead, a lead they were never to lose.

Their opening goal came in the seventh minute from the boot of Damien Cawley. Shane Sweeney was one of its chief architects.

Mark Sweeney then hit two goals to leave Peregrine's ahead at the tea, 3-6 to 0-6. And, before the break, Mark came near to producing another goal.

Dave Connolly's 45th-minute goal for Faughs sparked their revival. Three minutes later, Rory Crowley's finish brought their second.

Eoin Roche quickly added two points. Suddenly, Faughs were only three points behind, 3-11 to 2-11. The climate changed, but the rain kept falling.

The tempo rose. The urgings from both sidelines got stronger. "Come on, Faughs." How many times has that shout been uttered?

The excellent Cillian Byrnes slotted over another free for Peregrine's. Roche replied. Still, just the goal between them. Normal time was up.

The Blakestown bench were hoping that referee Gerry McGough was wearing a Rolex. Faughs pushed hard for equality.

But as they had done all day, the Saints kept the blinds down. Foley's final point told it was time to get out the wrapping paper.