Skelly unhappy with Kildare
LEINSTER chairman Martin Skelly has expressed unhappiness that Kildare aren’t bringing their heavy-hitters to Portlaoise for tonight’s rearranged O’Byrne Cup final against DCU.
Nine players will make their first senior starts, prompting Skelly to remark: “We would have hoped they had named their strongest possible team, but it’s up to each individual county.
“We can’t force anybody’s hands, but we would be somewhat disappointed.
” THE GAA is hoping to bolster the attendance for Sunday’s M Donnelly Interprovincial football semi-final between Leinster and Munster at Parnell Park (2.0) by offering free admission to adults who are accompanied by two children. Under-16s will also be admitted free, with general admission €10 for adults and €5 for students/OAPs.
Meanwhile, Connacht Council secretary John Prenty has reiterated his opposition to the revived interpro series – but for a different reason that his previously voiced misgivings on cost. “There are too many fixtures for the same guys,” said Prenty. HURLER of the Year Michael Fennelly reckons that retired duo James ‘Cha’ Fitzpatrick and John Dalton could rejoin the Kilkenny fold at a future date.
Fitzpatrick (27) and Dalton (26) were the two youngest hurlers to quit the All-Ireland champions in recent months. However speaking about his Ballyhale Shamrocks club-mate, Fennelly said: “He (Fitzpatrick) felt he had to go but two years down the line you could see him wearing the jersey again, you just don’t know. Maybe it could be the case that he’s just taking a year or two out.”