Saturday 22 September 2018

Senior Football Qualifiers: Rossies up and running

Roscommon manager John Evans. GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship
Roscommon manager John Evans. GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship

ROSCOMMON manager John Evans was effusive in his praise of his players after the Rossies defeated Cavan 3-17 to 1-16 in Saturday's All-Ireland SFC qualifier at Kingspan Breffni Park.

The Connacht side were shocked by Sligo in their provincial semi-final but despite missing several injured regulars on Saturday were still much too strong for 14-man Cavan in the second half.

"To go out there today and Cavan may say they lost a man but we lost our full-back, centre-back , midfielder, centre-forward and full-forward right down through the centre (to injury) - you could say we lost our spine but I'll tell you there's a backbone in these fellas," said Evans.

"It's absolutely wonderful. After a hard two weeks, it's been the toughest two weeks you'd have seen but the loyalty the players have shown, the absolute determination has been fantastic," he added.

"We met the following morning at eight o'clock after the Sligo game and to a man everybody was there. That shows the commitment and the attitude and the commitment these boys have.

"We've really knuckled down to it in the last weeks and they want to play football."

Cavan's Martin Reilly and Roscommon's Cathal Cregg both struck early goals, but points from Ultan Harney and Donie Shine helped the Rossies to a 1-7 to 1-6 interval lead.

After the dismissal of Cavan's Thomas Corr before action got underway in the second period, Enda Smith netted a second Roscommon goal before Smith's second goal sealed it for Evans's side in added time.

Quigley stars

SEáN QUIGLEY was the star of the show as Fermanagh were much too good for Antrim, 1-21 to 0-11, in their SFC qualifier at Brewster Park.

Quigley gave an exhibition of shooting when amassing a 14-point haul to send Fermanagh through to Round 3A.

In the opening half Quigley's seven points helped the Ernesiders to a 0-11 to 0-5 interval advantage, and Marty O'Brien's 55th-minute goal sealed the deal.



Promoted articles

Entertainment News