Monday 22 January 2018

Saints have the extra factor

Dublin SHCquartfinal: St Jude's 0-22 Kilmacud Crokes 0-20 AET

Joe McManus, St. Jude's, in action against Ross O'Carroll, Kilmacud Crokes. Senior Hurling Championship quarter final, St. Judes v Kilmacud Crokes. O'Toole Park, Dublin. Picture: Caroline Quinn
Joe McManus, St. Jude's, in action against Ross O'Carroll, Kilmacud Crokes. Senior Hurling Championship quarter final, St. Judes v Kilmacud Crokes. O'Toole Park, Dublin. Picture: Caroline Quinn

Holders Kilmacud Crokes exited the Dublin Senior Hurling Championship at the last eight stage after falling to St Jude’s by 0-22 to 0-20 after extra-time in their thrilling quarter-final at O’Toole Park last Saturday teatime.

With dusk descending on the Crumlin venue and visibility an issue, St Jude’s centre-back Wayne Hutchinson landed a brace of superb long-distance frees to eventually settle an encounter that ebbed and flowed throughout with the Templeogue outfit gaining a modicum of revenge after their heart-breaking county final defeat to Crokes last autumn.


A tight affair mirroring that of their previous championship outing was anticipated and it duly arrived with Kilmacud enjoying the more impressive start as they raced three points clear inside five minutes following a trio of scores by Oisín O’Rorke.

Joseph McManus eventually opened Judes’ account when converting an eighth minute free but with both Ronan Walsh and Jack Doughan prominent in the central defensive positions, Crokes eased five points ahead by the end of the first quarter with Oisín and Barry O’Rorke sharing three scores.

However, after Fionn Ó Riain Broin had registered St Jude’s first score from play in the 17th minute, last year’s beaten finalists, with Ciaran Mangan and Ger McManus impressing, reduced their arrears thanks to a brace of McManus frees before Crokes replied in kind thanks to excellent scores from play by Barry O’Rorke, Ryan O’Dwyer and Seán McGrath.

An Oisín O’Rorke free extended Kilmacud’s lead to six points after 25 minutes but crucially, St Jude’s finished the half in the ascendancy with late points from McManus and Ronan Joyce trimming the deficit to three points (0-10 to 0-7) by the interval.

That momentum was maintained upon the resumption despite Oisín O’Rorke landing a fine score from play in the 32nd minute as St Jude’s substitute Tom Devlin enjoyed an impressive half, firing over three points from play.

Danny Sutcliffe was also more heavily involved as Jude’s enjoyed a greater share of possession but a 57th-minute point from Caolan Conway looked to have secured Kilmacud’s passage to the last four before Ó Riain Broin nervelessly converted a free from a narrow angle to ensure extra-time. In keeping with the earlier fare, Kilmacud started brightly despite the descending darkness with Oisín O’Rorke landing three frees in quick succession as Crokes entered half-time two points to the good following scores by O’Dwyer and Barra Ó Leidhin.

However, O’Rorke’s radar deserted him in the second period and after Hutchinson and Ó Riain Broin levelled matters near the close, the former Waterford senior hurler struck two glorious frees from distance to secure a well-deserved win for Seán Fallon’s men.      

Scorers – St Jude’s: J McManus (6f), F Ó Riain Broin (5f) 0-6 each, T Devlin, W Hutchinson (3f) 0-3 each, R Joyce, D Sutcliffe 0-2 each. Kilmacud Crokes: O O’Rorke 0-13 (11f), B O’Rorke, R O’Dwyer 0-2 each, C Conway, S McGrath, B Ó Leidhin 0-1 each.

St Jude’s: M Hartnett; E McLoughlin, G McManus, C Mangan; A O’Beirne, W Hutchinson, R Hardy; N Mangan, P Maguire; R Joyce, J McManus, J Kennedy; J Ryan, D Sutcliffe, F Ó Riain Broin. Subs: T Devlin for Ryan (half-time), A McGovern for Joyce (60), S Larkin for Maguire (65), Joyce for J McManus (71).

Kilmacud Crokes: M Collins; N Corcoran, R Walsh, B O’Carroll; C Mac Gabhann, J Doughan, R Murphy; D Kelly, N Ó Riordáin; Ross O’Carroll, S McGrath, J Sweeney; O O’Rorke, R O’Dwyer, B O’Rorke. Subs: C Conway for Sweeney (41), B Ó Leidhin for B O’Rorke (48), L McMullan for Ó Riordáin (50), B Mulligan for McGrath (56), Rory O’Carroll for Mac Gabhann (65).

Referee: Anton Keating (Setanta)

Promoted articles

Entertainment News