Monday 11 December 2017

O'Callaghan brace helps Cuala past valiant Fingallians

round-up: dublin mhl division 1

A goal in either half from Niall O'Callaghan ensured Cuala earned a well-deserved 3-13 to 0-7 victory over Fingallians in their Dublin Minor Hurling League Division 1 encounter at Lawless Park last Sunday morning.

Most of the damage was done in the first-half as the visitors raced out of the blocks and the contest was effectively settled by the interval as Cuala enjoyed a 2-9 to 0-3 advantage.

They received the perfect start as Tiernan Lane netted in the 3rd minute and despite a number of wides, Cuala enjoyed a purple patch at the end of the first quarter as they tagged on points through Joe Mahony and Dara Twomey.

The procession towards the home goal continued as Lane, David Ryan and substitute Jack Hartnett added points for a dominant Cuala before O'Callaghan's first goal arrived in the 21st minute.

Further points arrived through a '65' from goalkeeper Ryan De Felice and O'Callaghan before Fingallians eventually opened their account in the 27th minute through the impressive Derek Rodgers.

TJ Howard and Rodgers added points before the break but Lane's late score ensured Cuala led by twelve points by the turnaround.

Any hopes that the hosts would launch an unlikely comeback were undermined immediately as O'Callaghan pounced in the 31st minute to extend his side's advantage.

The remainder of the game lacked fluidity as Cuala managed to control matters without looking as threatening with Andrew Power and Twomey to the fore while midfielder Conal Kelly harried and hassled to great effect throughout.

Rodgers continued to offer Fins some crumbs of comfort but Lane's personal tally increased to 1-5 by the final whistle as the Dalkey outfit cruised to victory.

It was similarly straightforward in Silver Park as Kilmacud Crokes registered their second successive win of their campaign when defeating St Brigid's by 4-15 to 0-8.

Stephen O'Dwyer proved Kilmacud's key marksman, accruing 2-2 over the hour for a Crokes team missing key personnel in Tom Fox and Daragh Butler (pictured).

That duo were not missed however with corner-back Conor McNicholas, goalkeeper Cillian Fleming and centre-back Conor O'Dwyer all excelling defensively.

Further up the field, Fergal Whitely and Johnny Maher chipped in with points for the hosts while Alex Considine adorned a solid display from wing-forward with 1-1 for the winners.

At St Mobhi Road, Colin Currie was in exceptional form for Na Fianna as last year's championship winners overcame Ballyboden St Enda's by 4-12 to 2-8.

Currie struck three goals for the hosts, who were indebted to strong displays from David Murtagh, Cathal Doran and Padraig Buggy as they subjected Boden to their second straight loss.

The final match was Mark Dunleavy's goal prove crucial as St Vincent's, aided by contributions from Conor Burke, Darragh Quinn, Johnny Walsh and William Moloney, defeat Craobh Chiaráin by 1-13 to 1-8.

MHL1: Fingallians 0-7 Cuala 3-13; Kilmacud Crokes 4-15 St Brigid's 0-8; Na Fianna 4-12 Ballyboden St Enda's 2-8; St Vincent's 1-13 Craobh Chiaráin 1-8.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News