Tuesday 12 December 2017

Na Fianna and flying Fins set up northside senior showdown

IT'S an all north-side affair in the 2013 Tesco Homegrown Dublin Ladies' Senior Football final, after Na Fianna and Fingallians enjoyed wins over St Brigid's and Ballyboden St Enda's respectively in last Wednesday night's semi-finals.

Fingallians are certainly making waves. The recently crowned Division 1 league champions are in irresistible form and romped past Ballyboden, 3-16 to 0-6, in Lawless Park.

Boden, so long the standard-bearers, not just in Dublin, but at national level, were simply no match for the flying Fins.

A brace of goals in the first half from Lyndsey Davey set the Swords team on their way and a third goal from former All Star Amy McGuinness in the second half put the result beyond doubt.

Despite the success of the season so far, Fingallians mentor Packie Barnwell is keeping his feet firmly on the ground.

"The score didn't reflect the game," he said candidly. "The intensity was huge and never stopped. Credit to Ballyboden they never stopped. We just got the scores at the right time and once we got ahead we managed to stay ahead.

"We got three goals and goals win matches. The girls are working so hard and it's going well so far."

Packie was quick to pay tribute to their final opponents, Na Fianna. "They are hugely formidable. We just hope we can play to our strengths and that the occasion doesn't get to us and that's what we will work on in the next few weeks."



Based on that other semi, we could have a cracking final after Na Fianna showed guts aplenty to emerge from the lions' den of Russell Park with a 0-15 to 2-8 victory.

Orlagh Egan and Laura Walsh got the St Mobhi Road girls off the mark early on and that pattern continued as, despite the best efforts of Brigid's Aisling King and Bronagh O'Donnell, they led by 0-7 to 0-3 at the break.

The second period began score for score with Brigid's struggling to make an impression. Eventually, Brigid's broke Na Fianna's resistance and two goals midway through the second half brought the hosts right back into the tie, King grabbing the first with a powerful finish.

Minutes later, with Na Fianna still reeling, the dangerous Noelle Healy raised a second green flag after a brilliant solo effort, to put her team in front for the first time.

But, to their credit, the Mobhi Road side never panicked and Egan brought them level with a free. Egan regained the lead for her side with five minutes left and Na Fianna held out.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News