Wednesday 16 January 2019

Mint Royals chalk first win as Sligo fail to fire

MEATH registered their first win of the current league campaign, despite being reduced to 14 men, as they beat Sligo at Páirc Tailteann by 1-12 to 0-8.

The Royals finished with 14 after wing-back Cormac McGuinness picked up two yellow cards in quick succession late on. The game was well out of Sligo's reach at that stage, though -- the hosts took a firm grip early on and built up a match-winning lead.

A tap-in goal from Brian Farrell, after Conor Davey had earlier blocked a shot from Joe Sheridan on the line, put Meath into a 1-3 to 0-1 lead and Seamus McEnaney's side were in control, 1-7 to 0-3, at the break.

Adrian Marren notched Sligo's only point from play in the first half and the full-forward also had a goal disallowed after Eamonn O'Hara was adjudged to have fouled 'keeper Brendan Murphy.

The visitors fared only marginally better after the break and corner-back and captain Charlie Harrison ended a 27-minute barren spell with his side's first point of the second half.

Meath kept the scoreboard ticking over throughout that second period, with Shane O'Rourke, Graham Reilly, Shane McAnarney and Joe Sheridan all accounting for fine scores.

The winners were full of running throughout and were on top in most departments against a disappointing Sligo, who lacked in attack.

Tyrone suffered a second straight defeat in the league as Donegal won impressively by 1-10 to 0-6 at Healy Park on Saturday night.

Two Martin Penrose points helped Tyrone lead 0-4 to 0-1 but two Michael Murphy scores and a Leo McLoone point enabled the visitors to draw level by half-time.

Sub Dermot Molloy hit Donegal's goal straight after the break as his side controlled the game. With McLoone, Colm McFadden and Karl Lacey outstanding, Donegal outplayed Tyrone during the rest of the game.

Antrim remain bottom of the division after losing by 1-12 to 0-10 against Laois in Portlaiose.

Michael John Tierney's fisted goal helped Laois to a 1-7 to 0-5 half-time lead. However, Laois went 27 minutes without scoring in the second half and Antrim got back to within a point, 1-7 to 0-9. Two late scores from substitute Paul Cahillane sealed the win for Laois.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News