Friday 21 September 2018

mhuire get to point in lucan

Golden goal helps Clann share the spoils with Sars

LUCAN SARSFIELDS ... .................. 0-12

CLANN MHUIRE ... ... ............... ... .. 1-9

A NEW season. Same old tune. You can't beat experience. A pump was needed for the match ball at the 12th Lock on Sunday morning. Ref Jim Turner had one in the gear bag. He could have left the cards with Kenny Rogers. Nobody entered the book.

Both sides left with the glass a mixture of half full and half empty. Early days yet on the testing terrain that is the AFL Division 3. Five times the game was level, four times in the first half. It proved an entertaining hour.

The Whyte Tornadoes came from the Naul. Clanns had eight Whytes on duty, a mixture of brothers and cousins. Brian White, no relation, made it nine.

Garvan Ware played at midfield for Lucan. Who said Kathryn Thomas was the best thing to come out of Carlow? That right peg of his could send the ball across Dublin Bay.

He showed all his old guile. He was at the pitch of every ball, and he never gave it away. A simple hand-pass there, or an express foot delivery to a white jersey. He was also often deep in defence with mop in hand.

Both sides had excellent forward divisions. They scored more than they missed. Eoin Whyte and Brian White are nimble Mhuire attackers, while Lucan's Aidan Glover was sinking the colours. It was a hard-earned point for the visitors. "We were better in the second half," noted Mhuire's Ian Donnelly.


"It will take us a while to gel. It's only the first game. We'll get there, but I felt we lost track of what we were trying to do in the last 15 minutes of the first half, and that is what cost us the point."

The Lucan manager, Gerry Mescall, also felt it was a point that, perhaps, slipped away.

"We'd be disappointed we didn't get the win, especially considering how well we played," observed Gerry.

"Yet in saying that, the lads showed plenty of character to come back from two points down in the last 10 minutes. If we play as well as that every week, we'll be happy."

The Sars had to cope with the loss of their genial full-forward, Andy O'Neill, who retired injured 18 minutes into the tussle.

The hosts found themselves 0-5 to 0-3 behind on 13 minutes, but five unanswered points saw them lead at the interval, 0-8 to 0-5. The North County Dublin folk didn't bring any hairdryers, but their half-time pep-talk produced a response.

They were much sharper on the restart. Eoin White knocked over a point within a minute, and he then forced Alan Curtis to a valuable save.

It took commendable home defending to contain them. Former Carlow senior and one time Kildare panellist, Ware, was having a growing influence, while the impressive Lucan centre half-back, Paddy Mulhern, sent over a smashing point.

That had Lucan ahead by three points -- 0-10 to 0-7. Glover was fouled for a penalty in the 43rd minute. He took it himself. He kept the ball low and to the left, but it skipped inches past the post.

Eoin Whyte then ticked over another Mhuire point before, in the 49th minute, Cian Darby finished with authority for the golden goal. Joey Whyte quickly added a point.

The Mhuire were two points ahead on 50 minutes. In the 51st minute, Dara Moylett reduced the deficit, and three minutes later, Glover's free ensured equality. Much to discuss this week, and, on this evidence, much to look forward to as well.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News