McHale: I'm finished with Mayo
LIAM McHALE has indicated that he'll never be involved with any future Mayo football team, as the botched handling of a new managerial appointment has plunged the county board into crisis, writes Frank Roche.
McHale (right) would have served as coach if Kevin McStay had won the race to succeed James Horan.
The former All Star midfielder told Newstalk: "The biggest disappointment for me is not that we didn't get the job but that I'll probably never be involved with Mayo again.
"My dream was to win an All-Ireland with Mayo. I failed to do it as a player, so I was hoping I might be able to do it as a coach or manager or selector. I feel, for me, that day is done - that I'll never be involved with Mayo football again."
The Mayo board announced last Saturday night that the joint ticket of Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes had been chosen to go forward for ratification. This followed a day of intrigue, with McStay told he was no longer in the running - despite no formal interviews being conducted, as agreed by the county board executive.