| 5.8°C Dublin

Kildare into semi-finals

O'BYRNE CUP ROUND-UP: Kildare made sure of their passage to the O'Byrne Cup semi-final last night in Newbridge when they beat DIT by 0-12 to 0-8.

In a match which at one point, seemed certain to fall foul of the heavy fog, Mikey Conway impressed hugely for the second game in four days from centre-back, kicking three points (two frees) and in truth, the Lilies were even more dominant than the final scoreline suggests.

They led by 0-9 to 0-5 at half-time and Kieran McGeeney will have noted the strong displays from newcomers Cathal McNally (0-2) and Daniel Flynn (0-1). His team were, however, reduced to 14 men in the 49th minute when Gary White was dismissed for a second yellow card but then proceeded to kick the next three points of the match.

DIT, featuring last year's Dublin under-21 captain Kevin O'Brien as well as fellow panelists Seán George, Paul Maguire and Ciarán Reddin, dominated the last 15 minutes or so with Mayo's Aidan O'Shea and Cork's Mark Collins particularly prominant, although they couldn't close the gap sufficiently to make life any more difficult for Kildare.

In the night's other Group D match, WEXFORD slumped to a second successive competitive defeat after they fell to CARLOW IT in Bunclody last night by 0-12 to 0-10, with Ben Brosnan doing plenty of the damage by kicking three points from play against his own county.

In Group C, OFFALY took a giant step towards the last four of the competition and eased to both points with a 3-11 to 1-9 win over ATHLONE IT in Gracefield.

The match was actually level in the 41st minute but second-half goals from Peter Cunningham, Brian Connor and Eoin Carroll - added to Niall McNamee's impressive haul of 0-6 (3f) - meant the home side cruised to a second successive victory of 2013.

In the only Group A match of the night, LONGFORD pipped an understrength UCD by a goal - 1-14 to 0-14 - after dominating the opening exchanges.

Glenn Ryan's men led by 0-7 to 0-0 after 16 minutes and Aidan Rowan's late first-half goal meant the second half was largely academic.

CARLOW, meanwhile, survived the loss of two players to red cards in Bray last night to beat WICKLOW by 0-12 to 0-9 in Group B. Anthony Rainbow's men led by 0-7 to 0-6 at the break and withstood the absence of Darragh Foley and Shane Mernagh for a large chunk of the second half after both were shown the line.

p MEATH'S Group A clash with Louth was postponed due to heavy fog in Navan. The match has been refixed for tonight at 7.30 in Páirc Tailteann.