Thursday 27 June 2019

Jude's show lack of neighbourly love as they crush Faughs

St Jude's . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0-22 Faughs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0-7

St Jude's comfortably got the better of near neighbours Faughs by fifteen points in their disappointingly one-sided Dublin Senior Hurling Championship quarter-final at O'Toole Park yesterday afternoon.

Pat Robinson's 12th minute dismissal proved especially costly for Faughs after they enjoyed a reasonable opening but they struggled from that juncture, only scoring four points from play over the hour.

In contrast, St Jude's managed to tag on scores with great ease as the contest evolved with Fionn Ó Riain Broin proving their scorer-in-chief, amassing ten points over the hour.

There were few signs of such a one-sided contest during the early, frantic exchanges which saw Danny Sutcliffe open the scoring with a typically classy score in the 3rd minute.

Chris Bennett restored parity for Faughs four minutes later and the tightness continued with Ó Riain Broin and John Kelly trading scores soon after.

After the impressive Rob Hardy had landed a long-distance free to restore Judes' lead, a moment of rashness by Robinson on Tom Devlin culminated in the centre-back being sent-off.

Faughs' initial response to that setback was admirable as Emmet McKenna levelled matters at the end of the first quarter but if proved his side's final score of the half as their opponents assumed control with Ciaran Mangan once again excelling at corner-back.

Mangan added a glorious point in the 19th minute to regain the lead for St Jude's and with Faughs increasingly frustrated with some of the officiating, their discipline deteriorated with Ó Riain Broin the main beneficiary.

St Jude's struck eight points in the second quarter with Neal Mangan hitting a quick-fire brace to ensure his side a deserved 0-11 to 0-3 lead at the turnaround.

Sutcliffe immediately extended that advantage within a minute of the restart and the procession toward the Faughs goal continued with Paul Maguire complementing a fine midfield performance when converting a glorious sideline cut in the 36th minute.


Sutcliffe and Ó Riain Broin added scores before Faughs ended a barren period of twenty seven minutes when Ciaran Brennan pointed on a rare sortie into enemy territory.

Despite all their possession, St Jude's failed to create any genuine goal chances and had to content themselves with scores by Ronan Joyce, substitute Stephen Larkin and the increasingly influential Sutcliffe as the contest petered out with McKenna's three frees in the second-half of scant consolation to Faughs by the final whistle.

Scorers: St Jude's: F Ó Riain Broin 0-10 (8f, 1 '65'), D Sutcliffe 0-4, N Mangan, R Joyce 0-2 each, P Maguire (sideline), S Larkin, R Hardy (f), C Mangan 0-1 each. Faughs: E McKenna 0-4 (3f), C Bennett, J Kelly, C Brennan 0-1 each.

St Jude's: M Hartnett; E McLoughlin, G McManus, C Mangan; R Hardy, A O'Beirne, R O'Brien; J Kennedy, P Maguire; R Joyce, D Sutcliffe, N Mangan; M Maguire, T Devlin, F Ó Riain Broin. Subs: S Larkin for O'Brien (18), J Ryan for Devlin (34), J McManus for N Mangan (47), A McGovern for M Maguire (49), L Kelly for Hartnett (56).

Faughs: T Donohue; J Robinson, M O'Brien, C Devane; S McCann, P Robinson, G Kenny; J Kelly, B Dillon; F Heavey, E McKenna, C Bennett; C O'Mahony, C Brennan, E Prendergast. Subs: C Behan for Prendergast (half-time), M Dunne for Kelly (48).

Ref: Michael O'Connell (Croí Ró Naofa)

Promoted articles

Entertainment News